Korel - Nationstates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Korel - Nationstates

A forum for the Korel Region on Nationstates

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Selathorn

Selathorn

OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Empty
PostSubject: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Alright, let's admit it, we have a really convoluted world with two planets that don't really do anything and are pretty much never used anymore. So Panzer and I got talking in the shoutbox and together we came to the agreement that we should probably redo P'Taria completely and scrap Terraneus. Doing these things provides a lot of benefits for us. One, they make the continuity of our universe tighter (not that it was very tight in the first place). Two, they cut down on unnecessary and unused elements. And three, let's admit it, we did a really bad job of creating P'Taria. It really doesn't make much sense in any way.

Now, you might ask, why on earth would I want to do so much work in redoing P'Taria when I fully recognize that we don't like RPing there? Well, my answer is this: we do actually like RPing there. Very very much. But only when it comes to games that resemble traditional tabletop RPs like D&D. So how about we rebuild the world for that purpose? We can do some simple worldbuilding and reconstruct P'Taria into a world of adventure where we can continue the dungeon crawl and exploration RPs like Blue Moon Dragon and Horrors of the Deep. We can also create a better continuity and have our characters remain with tweaks (minor or major *cough* Panzer *cough*).

Naturally, this will be a big change and will need the consent of everyone who desires to join in on this kind of RP. Still, at the very least, we have an idea. Because Konosis and Ermarian were the primary nations of P'Taria (no offense to Blolrus), Panzer and I considered a world where the two nations both considered themselves as rules of the world and then eventually met. Konosis could be the empire of cold steel while Ermarian could be the empire of hot magic. Meanwhile, Blolrus could lie in the oceans between them and skirt between them, subtly holding much of the true power in the world. The other minor races like the Amazons and possible the Elves and Dwarves from the now defunct Monerite could hide in the frontiers and fringes of the world.

But anyways, thoughts?

Last edited by Selathorn on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Empty
PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:50 pm

That should work fine. Who sets out and finds who, though? Also, they're not entirely hot magic. Magic is heavily restricted but particularly power wizards and sorcerers can turn the tides of battles. I am also thinking of scrapping the idea of setting them up as Byzantine-type tech. No Greek fire or cannons at all. Those don't exist in Exile or Avernum canon, as far as Exile III is concerned. I suppose magic could make up for it, though.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:52 pm

Well, hotter than Konosis, anyways. I would imagine that it would be the Ermarians who would find the Konarians, given that they are much more naval oriented.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 10:01 pm

They aren't, actually. It was something I made up to give them a fighting chance. They would be dominated by the Army. I suppose it could still be their navy that does it, given that it was what discovered Valorim.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 4:41 pm

OK, I'm cool with rethinking/scrapping. Doing something with the one little island Blolrus holds was actually one of the things on my mind, and it's still something I plan on doing if we restructure the world.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 5:32 pm

We'd probably have to redo the whole map, actually. I want to redo my chunk of it, at least, to better resemble the maps in the actual Avernum world, meaning a four-continent Empire, though some of them are more Australia-sized than Asia-sized.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:56 pm

As long as Blolrus maintains a fairly large island so it has a land population.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 am

Sure, if you want a continent somewhere in between the two of us or something.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Not even continent-sized though. Maybe the size of Saudi Arabia.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Sure. I think that may count as a continent. Not sure, though. What is a continent and what is not seems to be done mostly by convention.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Sounds fine and good to me. Now, does anyone want to have some minor states in the background? We don't need actual nations for them and they don't need to be RPed at all, but having the world seem more complete and having character options for newcomers might be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Probably. Maybe Slithzerikai, Vahnatai, Nephilim, Troglodyte, and Hill Giants near mine? Oh, and Avernum itself. Can't forget Avernum.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:35 pm

I'll probably stick in a couple of pretenders to the Konarian throne and rebel groups in the background, as well as maybe the elves and dwarves from what was once Monerite.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Troglodytes and Hill Giants would make for factions hostile to the Ermarians, as the Ermarians drove them to extinction once before being brought back by the Vahnatai. The Giants and Troglodytes also hate each others' guts, probably even more so than they hate humans. Slithzerikai and Nephilim are reasonably integrated into Ermarian society, though it's still a bit hostile towards them. Avernum is an underground nation beneath Ermarian itself. They're fairly friendly towards each other. How much of Monerite's stuff are we keeping?
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Maybe we should keep a confederation of nations that is superficially similar to Monerite somewhere in Konosis's continent?
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:44 pm

I guess. Severely diminished due to Konarian and Ermarian encroachments?
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm thinking that it could maybe have a whole continent to itself and be pretty big, and with lots of internal strife while being really backwards. We could have spheres of influence within Monerite. It could be something like the late Qing Dynasty in real life. Maybe the human minority conquered the elven and dwarven majority, or something.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Sure, and if the Ermarians show up, they are helping the human minority exterminate the Elves and Dwarves.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 6:59 pm

...not really what I was going for. What I meant would be that the humans would be the ruling class and grudgingly tolerate the other races due to being vastly outnumbered.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Oh, fine. Prazac isn't exactly the genociding type, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Who, in canon, came up with the name P'Taria? Ermarian is the Ermarian name for the planet. The star is named Alxus and it's believed the planet is 7 billion years old.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 pm

The Konarians, I guess? Or maybe some ancient predecessor race? I'm not really sure.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Dragons. That, or it's an outsider name for it who opt to not intervene due to some Prime Directive-like shenanigans.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Rheans? Razz
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Sure, why not. What would be the Konarian name for the planet, then?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)   OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OOC: General PT Discussion (Previously: Rethinking P'Taria & Scrapping Terraneus)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next