Korel - Nationstates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Korel - Nationstates

A forum for the Korel Region on Nationstates

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The First Step

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

The First Step - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 4:32 pm

"Bismouth will likely object to any tech team outside the international agreement examining the Stargate. Especially from a civilization we have only just encountered," High Priest Xenon responds carefully. "However, these are topics for another time, I think," he says, casting a sidelong glance at Tex and Kat.

While before there were no overt signs of security in the building, as soon as D'Arc shows up, so does security. There are certain nations whose positive relationship with Bismouth is apparently more valuable than others.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:24 pm

The man in black says, "Yes, it would be good to see Vegas. See what you've done with it."

The Chancellor says, "Yes, caution is advised but I do not believe a brief inspection of the gate will be harmful. We will discuss this further at a later time, of course, and perhaps bring others into the know of what we are talking about."

The Chancellor and the man in black barely look up when security shows up.
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:07 pm

"I should explain that my science officer would wish to do little more than see the device. We could visually confirm whether or not your device is the same make as our own. If actually physically seeing the device is a bit much of a request, a picture of the device would do as well."

The Captain then turned his attention to the question of his government.

"My world is government by a single, international government simply known as the Dominion" said the Captain. "Everything the Dominion is and what it stands for are the creation of one man, its founding father Julian Augustine. His glorious dictatorship ended centuries of fighting between nation-states that had brought our people to the brink of extinction. Indeed, Augustine abolished the nation-states and installed a government that is both firm and fair. The Triumvirate is our executive leadership, the Quorum is our legislature, and the Supreme Magistratus is our judicial. Examinations are an essential part to our society, ensuring that every man and woman are put in a position where their natural talents can be completely utilized for the benefit of all."

The Captain smiled. "I can certainly go on about the most widely available information about Veridia Prime. Of course naturally, if you're looking for something very specific, I am not have the authorization to discuss it. Is there something more specific you'd like to know about my people and government?"
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Elizabeth shrugged, and asked, "How are your positions filled? Appointed, elected, inherited...?"
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Tex raises a brow at the man in black. "Have you been through the Mojave before?"

Kat seems a little more interested in the alien visitors. "I'm sorry, but that almost sounds Roman. I'm curious how your government came to be."

D'Arc still only observes.
Back to top Go down
https://korel.forummotion.com
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 11:09 pm

The man in black smiles and says, "You could say that." He looks on in approval of how Veridia-Prime is described. "Meritocracy. I see."
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 11:40 pm

The High Priest says nothing, but is clearly paying attention.
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 12:02 am

"Position in say government? Well the Quorum, our legislature, is elected by the people. Of course those who seek a seat in the Quorum must pass an examination to be eligible for the election. So no, I don't believe a meritocracy would quite fit my government. The Triumvirate is appointed and must, at all times, contain the Supreme Commander of our Military, an appointed councilor from the Quorum, and an appointed Magistrate from the Magistratus Collegium. Usually a vote of some kind from each group determines their representative in the Triumvirate. Finally, the Supreme Magistratus is seated by members from the Magistratus Collegium, which is a council of Magistrates."

Turning his attention to Kat, the Captain continues. "Our government certainly did not spring up over night, indeed it took several centuries of warfare and the detonation of a weapon far more powerful than ever expected to finally bring the once divided people of my home world to work with one another internationally. When our old nation-states finally agreed to peace, they created an international alliance known as the Veridian International Coalition. While the Coalition showed promise, sadly much of what divided up for so long before still seemed to keep our people at an standstill. Then came our savior, Julian Augustine who not only promised us peace but delivered it. It was to him, that one by one each nation-state gave up their sovereignty and power allowing him to begin his glorious dictatorship. As our Magister Populi, Augustine dismantled the old ideologies that divided us and built from the ashes the Dominion. Without him I fear we'd still be at war with ourselves, instead of working in united as one people, the Veridiain people."
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 2:22 pm

At this short history, particularly when the word "glorious" is used to describe a dictatorship, the High Priest can't control his eyebrows, which visibly rise.

He does, however, hold his piece.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Elizabeth doesn't seem to mind the history considering that the UMNA came into being in somewhat similar way, although then again she recognizes that the differences were quite large.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Kat nods. "Sounds much like what Caesar is trying to do for what remains of America. With the exception of the Municipalities, of course, and New Vegas." Yes, she uses the proper Latin pronunciation.

Tex gives Kat a sidelong glance. "And Arcade and I are, what, not trying to achieve the same thing, just without all the bloodshed 'your Caesar' caused?" He ignores the word 'dictatorship' and he also uses the English pronunciation of Caesar.

Kat turns to look at Tex directly. "You have your ways, he has his. If only you'd see that you're both working for the same thing...." She abruptly cuts herself off, visibly upset.

Tex, wisely, doesn't respond to her. Instead, he looks at the mysterious man in black. "You don't look familiar, so it must have been before my run in with Benny and pals. While I don't forget a face, I also don't remember much before that time." He shrugs.

D'Arc seems to be enjoying this. He's obviously been around Tex and Kat long enough to know the dynamics between them.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 8:01 pm

"Peace is worth almost any price," High Priest Xenon says. It's a non-committal comment, but it's done very calmly. As if to emphasize calmness. Calmnity.

The guards at the door perk up a little.

Hey, no one was checked for weapons. You never know.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 8:19 pm

The man in black says, "Ralph Waldo Emerson said, 'Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding.' With all due respect, I disagree." His only response to Tex's statement is a smile.

The Chancellor gives a look of disapproval at that man's statement.
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 10:09 pm

"Indeed, Augustine did much for our people and we continue to live by his words and ideas long after his death" said the Captain, visibly pleased to discuss anything pertaining to Julian Augustine. "Veridians have never lived more free and more united than they do now. Augustine rid out world of all the things that divided us, such as political parties and political nation-states. We are now one, with each man and each one given every chance to succeed and become a productive member of the Dominion."

The Captain understood his environment well enough to purposes not mention that Augustine had also abolished religion in the Dominion. His host had been so generous so far that he did not wish to insult them. Of course, it was doubtful that their religious beliefs were anything like that which had existed before the Dominion. The Church of Genesis, for example, burnt heretics at the stake and their secret police known as the inquisition was infamously known in many nations for its brutality to get to the truth.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Elizabeth raises her eyebrows slightly, and then asks the Captain, "If your former leader had abolished everything that divided your peoples, wouldn't that mean that had abolished any type of individuality, for is it not individuality that inherently causes divisions? I hope that you were simply exaggerating, however hearing something like that doesn't tend to give me favorable impressions."

Last edited by Selathorn on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 11:48 pm

Tex straightens a little as the guard perks up. He just looks at the High Priest for a moment. "Expectin' trouble?" He raises a brow. "If yer thinkin' Kat and I are gonna start somethin', we're not."

Kat frowns a little at Tex's comment, then seems to notice the change herself. She doesn't bother responding. Instead, she pays more attention to the Veridian. She raises a brow at Elizabeth's questions. "Too much individuality does cause problems. The rifts that it can cause are not beneficial for society."

Tex sighs. "See, now that's Caesar talkin', Kat." He shakes his head.

Kat rolls her eyes and looks at Tex. "Again, if you'd actually listen to what he has to say, you'd see that it makes sense."

Tex shakes his head. "Sure it does. You just have to sign on the dotted line, never mind that the fine print gives him your soul, and by signin', you've just given up every right to question his judgement. Individuality is fine if it suits him and his ideals. If you disagree, you're tied to a cross and left for the birds."

Kat sighs and looks at Tex. "We'll discuss this later."

Tex glances around, then nods to Kat. "Right." He probably doesn't believe that they will discuss it later, but at least he's figured out that this isn't the time or place. Or so it appears at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:17 am

"Tell me, what are Veridians free to do? Has anybody tested the claim that they are truly more free? From everything I have seen and studied, strong freedom and a powerful government cannot live side by side." So says the man in black. He clearly has opinions on Caesar but will respect their decision to shelf it.

Last edited by Panzersharkcat on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 11:34 am

(OOC: Oh, he can make his opinion known if you want him to. The shelfing it only applies to Tex really. He just doesn't know when to shut up.)
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 11:57 am

The High Priest acknowledges Tex's remark, but doesn't give any commands to the guard that make him loosen up, so he's still pretty attentive. Still just in case.

"I'm actually more concerned with how concentrated and absolute the power of that one dictator must be," High Priest Xenon posits. "A strong government is one thing if it's decentralized and power is divided amongst many, but under absolute rule by a single man?"
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Elizabeth answers to Xenon, "Actually, the Captain did mention the existence of a triumvirate now as opposed to the rule of a single dictator."
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:16 pm

"Three heads are better than one, certainly," Xenon says. "But far worse than 6 or 15 or 100."
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Kat looks to the high priest. "If the one man is charismatic enough, he can hold power easily enough. It is when one unpopular person attempts to hold power without enough force behind him that things turn bad." She looks at Tex. "And don't even go there."

Tex raises his hands and shakes his head. "I wasn't gonna say a damned thing."

Kat nods. "Good, because as much as you don't like to think of it, you and Arcade are doing the exact same thing."

Tex is actually rendered speechless by that. He just sits there, first shocked at Kat, then turning thoughtful.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 3:34 pm

"'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.' So says Jefferson." The man in black continues, "So yes, one man with charisma can hold absolute power. But what happens when he is gone? Through all of history, states sustained by the charisma of one man tend to crumble into infighting. Caesar's Legion will be no different." And yes, he pronounces it in the classical Latin way.
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 4:39 pm

"Individuality I do believe is not something that can be completely wipe away from any society" said the Captain. "I suppose what I mean in the case of the Dominion, is that while there is still individuality we as a society base ourselves on universal core values that all Veridians hold dear such as freedom, justice, equality. There are some different interpretation of what these all means sure, but as a whole we operate under a single idea and that idea is the Dominion."

"Yes there are a great number of freedoms in Veridia Prime, perhaps no more different than freedoms here in your countries. Perhaps the only difference is that we recognize the responsibility inherit to freedom and the Dominion ensures no freedom is abused. For example, every child on Veridia Prime is given a free primarily education. We afford everyone the tools with which to succeed but in so doing, we do not support complacency to these tools. That is to say, though we educate you for free this does not entitle you to anything you, yourself work for. To join any profession or study in any subject at any secondary school, one must take an examination to ensure they had the skills necessary to succeed. I am not in the Examination Board, but it is generally understood that while the examinations are designed to scale inherit ability, it also gauges self-taught skill and knowledge. So everyone is free to become what they wish, so long as they are willing to work to become what they want to become in life. An work everyone does as it is illegal not to hold a job and this is because the Dominion provides a job for every citizen regardless."

"Veridians are also free to start families so long as they can pass the examination to become eligible for parenthood. You see, the Dominion temporarily sterilizes females at birth, making pregnancy impossible without the help of the state. This not only ensure population control so far as numbers go, to ensure we don't overpopulate our planet but it also ensures that those who have children are responsible enough for their care. Before such policies, Veridians were free to abuse sexual relationships and breed without any pre-considerations of the consequences. As a result our planet became overpopulated and left many children in the care of the state or worse, in the care of abusive parents. This was unacceptable and under Augustine the policies which now govern birth and parenthood were put in place."
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 8:40 pm

The man in black looks at the Chancellor and Tex, giving an expression that says he's heard this sort of thing before and he's not impressed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The First Step   The First Step - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The First Step
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Korel - Nationstates :: Regional Happenings :: Issues-
Jump to: