Korel - Nationstates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Korel - Nationstates

A forum for the Korel Region on Nationstates

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A New Direction

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

A New Direction - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:37 pm

"Well, that was interesting," says Dmitri, noting the flood of Panzerian businesses leaving Burnination in light of a much more hostile environment, many of them taking their capital with them (they will open up the roofs of their factories and take their machinery and other equipment with them via tractor beam). Burninite businesses in Rhea won't be as badly damaged as they would likely have reserves of panzers, rubles, yuan, and silver marks.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:39 pm

Jenova sees Shein's expression and her face goes cold. "He talked to you, didn't he," she says. A tear runs down her face. "My country wants me dead. My husband won't talk to me. My closest friends are the ones most likely to bring about the destruction of my people, who, against all odds, I still care about."

It looks like she's about to succumb to self-pity, she finds some sort of inner strength. Her voice is still firm when she replies to Shein's questions. "Thorgood won't worry about you. He just tried abolishing money. My bets are on policies that might make the Panzerians react negatively, but you Rutians don't have the same societal structure. He doesn't perceive you as a threat, and so he doesn't send cloaked lookouts."

She pauses.

"As for the shifter, yes, I can, but no, I will not. I will not hide behind some shifter. I will not fake my own death. In fact, as soon as I sort everything out in my head, I'll walk back to Burnination with my head held high."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Rutian forces would find Scott Guggenheim (the third suspect) in a hotel room in the Motherland. He's got a bunch of guns, and looks like he doesn't want to be taken alive.

Research done would show that he was a pro-Remberg news reporter. Influential too. Not someone Thorgood would want around.

Fine print is what Dmitri should be worried about. All Burninite businesses in Panzersharkcat will have to submit to the government's redistribution of wealth, regardless of what their reserves are in. In other words, if Thorgood wins in the Parliamentary committee, the businesses in Panzersharkcat with reserves in Panzerian currencies will likely have some of their value taken from Panzersharkcat and moved to Burnination. In essence, stealing.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 pm

(OOC: Well, that changes things quite a bit.)

Upon a closer look at the fine print, as noted by Luthor, all governments of Rhea issue statements refusing to allow their foreign investors to be stolen from: in effect, Rhea is a tax haven and refuge from other confiscatory schemes of other governments, and if Thorgood doesn't like it, he can stick his decrees where the sun doesn't shine.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:54 pm

And the Rutians would try and convince Scott that they can get him out alive and to safety. They even tell him they know where Jenova is. Hell, they even state that they know who did kill Glock and they're trying to bring the individual to justice, but they can't do it without Scott's help. They're trying everything to get him out of there and to the Imperial Republic.

On the Raptor, Shein nods faintly. "He did. Jenova, I don't know why he won't talk to you. Probably feels you've been through enough pain and isn't aware of what he's doing to you." He sighs and holds a hand out to her. "I'm not going to destroy your people. I didn't have your faked death planned. I don't want to risk you and neither does Earl, but he thinks that you alone can convince Burninandom to secede. I want Keidra to go in your place to convince them. If you were killed, I don't think I'd ever forgive myself for letting you go." His tone suggests that he knows he can't stop her though. "He told me you'd be safe in the Imperial Republic as long as Thorgood feared retribution. You woke before he could finish what he was going to say."

Arren's datapad chimes and he retrieves the message. "We found Scott Guggenheim. He's holed up with a lot of guns, Shein. He's not going to let anyone take him."

Shein sighs and looks at Jenova. "Any help here would be good. Why do they want him? Why did they want Tellins dead?" Yeah, he may know why already. He's pretty good with figuring things out. "As to Thorgood not viewing us as a threat? Well, that's going to be his first and last mistake. If I can take him out without harming anyone else, I'm going to do so at this point. He's going to destroy your society if someone doesn't act. You know that as well as I do."

Rutian businesses also pull out of Burnination. Not as aggressively as the Rheans, but they do leave, muttering about Thorgood and his policies designed to destroy what was once a wonderful place. Burninite businesses in the Imperial Republic should be fine as well. They probably deal in the local currency instead of their native one.

EDIT: Once Shein sees that fine print as well, he passes a tax haven law similar to that of the Rheans. Even though it's not affecting Rutianas-based Burninite businesses, he's not taking the chance that it might eventually do so.
Back to top Go down
https://korel.forummotion.com
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 6:55 am

Jenova laughs dryly. "Killing another emperor, no matter how unjust, would also destroy our society. Having Burninandom secede would deal some heavy damage to it. Heck, whatever course of action we choose, Burnination is going to be a LOT worse for the wear. I meant that he doesn't see Rutianas as a military threat; he can't think of a reason you'd declare war on him.

"Tellins was an author I think. Makes sense if Thorgood thought him heretical. Guggenheim is a news reporter I think. Also makes sense."

The closed Emergency Parliamentary meeting closes, and it appears that Thorgood has come out on top. His policies have been validated, as has his election as emperor. His new policies now take effect.

Fortunately, most Burninite businesses in Rutianas and Panzersharkcat had quickly changed their home countries to either Rutianas or Panzersharkcat to avoid wealth redistribution.

Guggenheim reluctantly allows the Rutians to take him away.

Well, it looks like Thorgood did actually know what he was talking about as far as the level of Burninite technology and how it could change the lives of the citizens. He has loads of decommissioned military equipment and military manufacturing equipment converted by army techs into civilian material.

In short, he's abolished money and set up autonomous production lines in the place of the majority of the Burninite workforce. He also seems to have taken the functioning of the non-monetary Rutian system and adopted some of its principles. As a result, the common man of Burnination sees a new emperor who has vowed revenge for the old one's death, single handedly pushed them into a new level of military and space technology, and now freed them from the need to go to work.

Heck, even I have to admit that these are some serious achievements.

Now, as to whether or not the ends justify the means...
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 8:18 am

Shein nods slightly. "True, but it depends on what level of destruction you want here. The complete destruction of your world by the Rheans, or societal destruction by Thorgood." He sighs. "Look, I'm not going to do anything unless he does something really stupid. Like get into another galactic war. If he does that, I can stay neutral only so long."

Arren's datapad chimes and he reads the message. "We've got Guggenheim in custody. They're taking him to the Citadel."

Shein nods. "Then that's where we're going." He looks at Jenova for a long moment. "I hope you won't be planning on doing anything stupid." He actually smiles faintly. "I'm rash and impulsive, but I very rarely go with my first few decisions. I plan on sitting down with Kennah and talking to her extensively on this. She's the rational one and I trust her insticts. Until then, I won't make a move against Thorgood. As for him not viewing us as a military threat, again, that could be his first and last mistake. He may know I'd never use MIDAS or the Graviton missile unless my back were to the wall with no other option, but he's stupid if he thinks I won't back the Rheans up eventually. Burnination might have a fighting chance against just one of us, but not both. I know it, you know it, he knows it. He's playing with fire, Jenova. He's going to get burned and in the process, he's going to get your people burned. As I said, I can stay neutral in this only so long." He types something in on his datapad and sends a couple messages.

Arren gives the pilots the order to head to Dreva and the Citadel.

And no, the Rutians don't care if it's known they've got Guggenheim in custody. They are, however, quiet about having Jenova as well. If any requests for extradition come in, they go unanswered.

(Encrypted)

To: Dmitri

I've decided that the Imperial Republic must remain neutral for now. Should Thorgood instigate another war, I will eventually stand by you and the other Rheans. I'm not abandoning you, just know that. Jenova is very worried about her people and won't listen to reason. Thorgood is going to destroy their society and his spying on you is coming close to instigating military action. At this point, I'm asking for you to ignore what he's doing for now. If he fires the first shot, by all means, take action, but until he does, please ignore what he's doing.

In other news, we have the second of the three on that list. As you may know, Tellins was killed. We believe him to have been an author. I've got my people looking into that to see why he was killed. Guggenheim is a news reporter. We might use this to our advantage. I've got proof that Thorgood was likely involved in the assassination of Glock.

-Shein

(Encrypted, with a different code, of course)

To: Emperor Thorgood

We've never seen eye to eye, but at this point I'm asking you to listen to me for just one moment. Stop provoking the Rheans. I don't know what your goals are, but if you continue on this course of action, you may unwittingly unleash them upon you.

A New Direction - Page 2 Esheinsig
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 6:41 pm

[Encrypted]

To: Shein

I agree. For now, our only actions are to shelter Burninite businesses here and get rid of their sensors. Our pilots are currently using them as target practice.

Dmitri
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 7:45 pm

(OOC: I enjoy the fact that I've forgotten Thorgood's first name and no one's looked it up Smile)

TO: Emperor Shein Darson

I'd meant to send you a message, but I've been a bit busy recently.

See, here's the problem I always have. You're an emperor. The Dmitri fellow who rules Rhea is an emperor. I'm a scientist. The people gave me this job because they think that I can make their lives better.

And in my experience, you emperors think of yourselves and your nations as galactic citizens. You care immensely about how other nations perceive your nation's policies. You in fact begin to temper your policies by what you think others will think when they hear about them. When you put it that way, the whole idea seems twisted.

I'm passing radical changes and erasing old orders. You've never liked me, and I've never liked you. But I can respect you, and I hope you can respect what I'm trying to do for my people. Look at what I've already done for them. And please don't condemn me for shifting policies away from appeasing the Rheans.

Unless you suspect me of doing more. In which case, please just say what you mean. I hide nothing from you, except by omission. I veil no secrets.

Also, I have intelligence indicating that you have in your custody our mutual acquaintance Jenova Incinerator, as well as the criminal Guggenheim. I'd appreciate it if you'd extradite them to Burnination immediately to face trial and justice. But I doubt that was your intention, and so I caution you. Guggenheim is extremely dangerous to the idea of a nation ruled by emperor. Dangerous to the idea of the idea even. Jenova is wanted for stealing information pertaining to the investigation of the assassination of Emperor Remberg. It would greatly aid us if you'd allow us to take her in at least.

Sincerely,
Emperor Thorgood

"Shein," Jenova says. She pauses for a second, seeming to struggle for words. "Thank you." She stops again, shakes her head, and continues, "I'll be hurt if he burns my people. I'll be devastated if you obliterate them for his crimes in their name."

That said, Jenova asks to be left alone for a rest. And continuing under the assumption that either Jenova or Shein leaves the room...

"I cannot speak with her," Earl's voice says, "because I cannot give her what she wants of me. And this would cause her more pain than knowing I will not speak with her. Know this Shein, there is a price for immortality. A price for power. Take only what you want, and pay for it."

Earl's presence again recedes. That isn't to say he isn't watching. Waiting.

In Burnination, there is a condition resembling cultural shock. Money, worthless. To most, 'wealth redistribution' translated either to 'nothing' or 'free stuff.' More profoundly, no one has to go to work. The people seem not to know what to do with their time. Immediately, sports interests skyrocket.

The Church is awestruck and enraged.

Remember a while back when we discussed the green stones all Burninites carry around? If you recall, a vampire activated the mental defense mechanisms in one when he tried to pull a mind trick on Glock. The gems are to protect from the wrath of the Destroyer, if you remember. Remember the effects Glock suffered from when the defenses were activated? Good. We'll come back to this within a few posts.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 8:42 pm

(OOC: Pass. It's OK. For a while, I forgot Lubeck's name.)
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Shein nods to Jenova. "I know. As I said, I won't move against your people. If I have to, I will move against Thorgood." He does respect her wish to be left alone to rest. Once on Dreva, she'd be given a suite in the Citadel. As would Guggenheim, of course. Both under guard just to be safe. Even if the Citadel is pretty impenetrable, security is heightened for the moment.

After Shein is alone with Arren and hears Earl speaking about immortality, he snorts softly. "You think I don't know that? You mentioned my eyes turning blue. There's a dangerous addiction that goes with mine. It's not true immortality, but I'll live a hell of a lot longer than I would have before." He sighs. "The spice that saved our lives bound us in addiction." He shakes his head. "Though, honestly, I think you're being stupid by not talking to her." He pauses, then adds. "But then again, I've been in her place. Adriane. What I wouldn't give to just hear her voice one more time and not just in a dream."

The datapad chimes, signaling Shein to a message. He reads it, then sighs. He just hands it to Arren, who shakes his head. "The guy has little sense."

"Tell me about it." Shein types in a response.

(Encrypted)

To: Thorgood

When you realise that keeping the galactic peace is more important than pissing others off just because you think that's in your people's best interest, then I'll address you as I would an equal. Until then, you are nothing more than a scientist posing as an Emperor. As to radically changing things, what the hell do you think I've done here? I've nearly been assassinated several times. Adriane was killed to stop me. Shanika was killed to stop me. Do you honestly think I don't know about radical changes? What you're doing is destroying your society. Take a step back and think about what is best for your people. Technology was once the downfall of your society. Are you willing to risk that again? Or are you honestly so arrogant you think you'll make it succeed where others failed? Wait, don't answer that. I already know the answer. In other words, you're now an Emperor. Grow up and act like one. It's a lesson I had to learn when I was fourteen and crowned Emperor. Your nation isn't the only one around. You have to play nice with your neighbors to keep them from pissing on your lawn, so to speak.

My entire concern is that you're going to piss the Rheans off enough to cause a second galactic war. Be very glad that you didn't attempt this little stunt with us. Invading our space with sensors and cloaked ships would be an act of war. Yes, I know full well what you've been doing over there. I'm smart enough to put two and two together.

As to Jenova, I don't know where she is. As to Guggenheim, yes, we have him. He's a political refugee and has requested asylum in the Imperial Republic. I've granted it. Under Imperial Republic Law, he cannot be extradited. Should Jenova arrive here and request the same, I will grant it. I do not believe either of them responsible for the attack. Unless you show me hard undisputable proof that I can verify through my own intelligence officers, I will not extradite Guggenheim.

As of right now, the Imperial Republic stands neutral to your changes. I pray that you do not destroy your people in attempting to make their lives better.

A second is sent to Dmitri.

(Encrypted)

I don't know who snitched, but I'm going to seriously hurt someone. Thorgood found out Jenova is here. I'm denying it, of course. I've got everyone on that outpost being questioned. That man truly thinks he's acting in the people's best interest.

-Shein

Well, Kennah actually picked that moment to show up. She pulls the datapad from Shein's hand and checks his most recent messages. "I heard about the problems already." When she sees the one he's already sent to Thorgood, she looks ready to kill Shein. "Do not tell me you sent this?"

"Already did." Shein either doesn't see the danger or doesn't care. He has to duck when Kennah actually takes a swipe at him. "What?!"

"Idiot!" Kennah glares at Shein. "Are you trying to get him to start poking about around here?" She sticks her finger in his chest and pokes with each word. "Do. Not. Provoke. Him. Further. Understand?"

Shein is silent for a moment, then nods once.

Arren is just trying not to bust out laughing. He has to beat a hasty retreat when he starts to lose it.

Only Kennah could control Shein like that.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 11:12 pm

[Encrypted]

My father did not truly believe he was doing what he did for his people. He did this for glory and to spread death.

Dmitri
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:08 am

Once Jenova has had some time alone, she returns, looking as well as feeling refreshed.

"It is time," Jenova says. "I'd like to be dropped off in Burninand - "

Jenova chokes and pulls a green stone out of her pocket. It glistens for an instant and Jenova's face turns white. Then, the stone returns to normal.

Thorgood does not respond to that communique. An astonishing feat of maturity for him. Emperor? Maybe not. Getting better? Maybe so.

= BURNINATION NATIONAL NEWS =

All across the nation, the religious stones we've carried for more than a few generations began to drain energy from our bodies. In the City of the Rebirth, the effects were the most dramatic, consisting of unconsciousness to feeling faint and losing the ability to stand unsupported. As far out as Burninandom, the effects were much less dramatic. Our reporters in Rutian worlds claim that they hardly noticed the event; that their stones glistened, draining an insubstantial amount of energy from their bodies.

Emperor Thorgood has put researchers on it, and has called on religious leaders to cease their war on the people. Religion must be by choice, not by force, he says. Religious leaders have responded angrily that they have done nothing.

The people continue to look for activities to occupy their new-found free time. There is a spike in gaming as well now, and universities all across the nation receive more applications than they know what to do with.

And there's a momentous increase in the number of people 'hanging out.'
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:49 am

Shein raises a brow at the stone, then looks at Jenova. "Not until you explain what just happened and why?"

Kennah, who's there as well, looks concerned. She's holding the datapad now, not letting Shein even touch it.

The story probably would not have hit immediately after Jenova's experience. It takes time to get those things out.

Anyway, Kennah finally taps the datapad and sends a message.

Please forgive my idiotic husband. He often speaks before he thinks. This situation has him on edge as he is concerned for the security and safety of the Imperial Republic as well as for your people. He often thought of Earl as a family member and felt the same toward Glock. He is in a state of shock still and cannot figure out why someone would do what they did to Glock. I doubt you'll be hearing directly from him anymore during this as I've taken over all communications to your nation from now on.

I truly do not know where Jenova is. I would, however, appreciate it very much if you could send us whatever information you have on her involvement in this matter. The same for Guggenheim. If we find Guggenheim to be guilty of committing any crime related to the death of Glock, we will extradite him. Until then, what my husband said rings true. He is a political refugee and has been granted asylum in the Imperial Republic.

We want to solve this mystery as much as you do, I'm sure of that.

-Kennah Darson
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:49 am

(OOC: Pass.)
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:45 pm

"No time," Jenova says. "Know that this is nothing you have the power to protect me from. If this has happened in other places, we could be in serious danger. Not to mention that it lends me serious maneuvering power. I can take care of myself. Take me to Burninandom. Trust me."

Those last two words seem to be the most pleading. Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

TO: Empress Kennah Darson

Forgiven and forgotten. I understand. Unfortunately, the one suspect we had to interrogate on the burning 'w' question was killed before we had the chance to interrogate him. Since you insist on holding the other two, admitting only on holding the one, I am powerless to answer that question. Try asking them yourselves. They may actually be more forthcoming to foreign agents than to domestic ones.

Also, I hope that you can forgive me if I have insulted you or your husband in any way. Please realize, I am learning this as I go. It's not like there's a book out there for just my situation.

Sincerely,
Emperor Thorgood
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:57 pm

(OOC: Pass. Greatly tempted to have Dmitri intercept the message and have him send Thorgood a book on how to be an emperor. Something like "How to be an Emperor in 30 Days." Or he could just send him a copy of The Prince.)
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:18 pm

(OOC: Kennah did not encrypt it. She kind of figured Dmitri would intercept it. Razz)
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:26 pm

(OOC: Then do this I shall.)

In a few days, a package containing two books will arrive for Thorgood: "Empire Running For Dummies" and "The Prince." Enclosed is a note.

Encrypt your messages.

Dmitri
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Shein just looks at Jenova for a moment. Before he can speak, the news story hits and Arren is given a datapad, apparently top priority. It's given to Shein and both he and Kennah look at it. He silently hands the datapad over to Jenova for her to look at. "You do realise that if I let you go and you get killed, I will never forgive myself. Right?"

Kennah actually stays silent for now. She even looks worried for Jenova.

Arren remains silent for a moment before speaking. "Send Karl with her?"

Shein looks at Arren for a moment, then to Jenova. "Karl is one of our deadly psions. Will you allow him to go with you? As a guard? If Thorgood moves against you, he might be able to stop him. Or at least scare him badly enough to back off."

The datapad Kennah holds chimes and she retrieves her message. "Well, that's calmed down." She hands him the datapad and he reads the message.

"I really don't give a rats ass what he says, Kennah. I know he was behind this. I just know it. Even before I saw what Jenova had with her." Shein sighs and looks at Jenova again. "If you take Karl with you, I'll make sure you get there safely. I can't guarantee anything beyond that. We do have intelligence officers among your people and several on Burninandom." He looks a little uncomfortable with admitting that. "Karl knows who they are. You'll be safest with them."

Kennah sends out another message.

(Again, not encrypted)

I was of the aristocracy, but not born to rule. My husband was taught from an early age that he was just another citizen in the Imperial Republic. When his grandfather died, leaving him the Emperor by our laws, he was lost. He learned how to do this when he was very young. An adult by our standards, but still very young. I've learned quite a bit from him. You could as well. If you know anything about Rutian history, you would know that Shein is the most popular Emperor we've had. Everything he's done is for the good of the people. Sometimes they don't know it, and sometimes they do.

We've noted the story about these religious stones. Is there something we should be concerned about? In other words, should we warn Burnite citizens in the Imperial Republic about this energy drain? Also, are you sure it's a good idea to let your people do nothing? Even under our former system, people still worked. What are you going to do for food? Clothing? Other things when needed? You would soon have nothing to trade with to get it. Even the Imperial Republic could not provide everything you would need.

-Kennah Darson
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:19 pm

"If you do so, you do so without my knowledge. I will not bring a bodyguard into my own cities. If it will make you feel better about it, I can slander you repeatedly so that you will not feel so bad if I die. Though, on the downside, when Burninandom is free, you will be far less likely to want to talk to me ever again," Jenova replies.

Dmitri - Sending me a copy of 'The Prince' only proves my point. There is no easy way for me to learn to be an emperor. Now kindly refrain from reading the rest of the message, as the first line clearly read "TO: Empress Kennah Darson," and unless I am sadly mistaken, that is not your name.

Well, those stones are a long story. They're rumored to protect us from mental attacks of a deity named Slaaneesh the Destroyer. Cutting out the gory details and general long story, The Destroyer isn't a nice person, and likes eating Burninite souls. Fortunately, we are protected by our soulstones. They use our energy to protect against his mental attacks.

Personally, and in the opinion of my fellow researchers, they're just a tool to keep the common man in line.

No, you shouldn't be worried about it.

As for your economic fears, I say fear not. We are producing all the food we need with the autonomous machines that have always been available to us. Look at the figures. The raw ones. As far as production goes, we haven't dropped a single bushel in production.

And, forgive me if I am too blunt here, but I fail to see how freeing them from labor is anything but in their best interest, and for their common good.

Thank you for speaking to me cordially and at least understanding my inadequacy at this position. There. I typed it.

Sincerely,
Emperor Thorgood

As the people calm down after the ordeal with the soulstones, there are two prevailing theories.

1) The church is angry about Thorgood's separating them from the state, and all the changes he's making. In response, they activate technologies at their disposal to bring the people firmly to their side.
2) The Destroyer is coming.

You can imagine which one is believed by most (#1). The result is a further lowering of religious fervor in Burnination, and a wider wedge being driven between the Motherland and the colony (which is more staunchly religious).
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Next, a copy of "Humor for Dummies" is delivered to Thorgood.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Shein just looks at Jenova for a moment, then sighs. "I can't stop you, Jenova. I'd just feel better if you had a guard with you. At least then I'd know I did whatever I could to protect you. When this is all over, then we'll talk about whether I'd want to talk to you again."

Kennah looks at Shein, then to Jenova. She seems a little surprised that he's admitted he can't stop her. Well, it's the truth, but she probably expected him to fight back a little more. After all, she wasn't around when Earl said Jenova should go to Burninandom.

In any case, Jenova is allowed to go, though Shein doesn't look happy about it.

Elsewhere in the Citadel, several Rutian Palace Guards do begin to ask Guggenheim about what is going on, why he's wanted, and what the hell is up with that story about the stones. Hey, they're curious about the last bit. They really want to know what happened to Glock and why Guggenheim was singled out with the other two.

(Encrypted, only because Shein showed Kennah the button and got told off since she knew about it already)

While I, Kennah, am writing most of this, Shein is adding a few thoughts here and there on religion. Freeing people from menial labor is not in their best interests. While you may have machines to do the menial work, the people will only become dependent upon them. Becoming dependent on machinery is dangerous. One of our worlds experienced this thousands of years ago. The Sikarrans. They eventually abolished all machinery because of the effects it was having on society. They became weak as a people. Not only physically weak, but emotionally and mentally weak. They discovered that in order to advance as a society, they had to begin working again. Once they started to do so, their society began to advance. While you believe you are doing wonderful things for them, the lasting effects will not be seen for years. We both pray that your people do not eventually revolt against the machines doing all the work and if they do, that it is not too late.

The Sikarrans have one saying: "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind." In other words, no thinking machines. They don't even have basic computers because they can do basic mathematics at least. They don't like our technology and refuse to use it. You could learn a lot from them really. I've even begun to understand why they're resistant to technology. They say that to understand that is taking the first step toward the Will of the Sand and becoming Fremen.

Religion has strange ways of making a person realise that it is real. For us, it's the appearance of our Gods and Goddesses. Well, at least to some of us. Ares has talked to me directly, as has Hades. Kennah has yet to see one of them, but she trusts me enough to believe me when I say that I have seen them and spoken to them, though she's becoming more and more Fremen by the day. For your Gods, I don't know if they are reality, but I do know ours are. In light of that, I don't know why yours would be any less real. However, that said, I do understand the scientific viewpoint. We have some scientists here who refuse to believe in the Gods because they have never been approached. Something about can't prove that they exist therefore they don't exist. I'm surprised the Gods let them go around spouting it off, to be honest. As I said, I don't know about your religion. I only know about mine, and mine is very real.

-Shein and Kennah Darson
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Jenova arrives in Burninandom and is immediately met by Burninite Guards.

"Jenova Incinerator," one of them says, "you should not have come." They look at her sadly. "We have to take you into custody." Jenova is obviously highly respected here, and the Guards obviously don't want to arrest her.

Jenova says nothing, just looks straight into the eyes of the guards. Head held high, back straight.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Incinerator," the second says, pulling out a set of cuffs. The first breaks away from her stare, unable to meet her gaze.

"Arrest me if you believe that I have done wrong," Jenova says.

Oh, and now this is becoming a scene. People are gathering all around, and the Guards are even more embarrassed than before. Who'd arrest the wife of a martyred, well-loved emperor? A quasi-religious figure since then too.

"Well, when you put it -" the guard begins to say, but is unable to finish, as someone from the crowd shouts over him "Why have you returned to us?"

The guard doesn't attempt to finish the sentence.

"Burninandom, you have felt the stirring of The Destroyer. You know what it portends, and you know where your new emperor is leading you," Jenova says.

"You speak treason!" a Guard says. And just as she planned, another voice shouts "He's not my emperor!"

Murmurs of agreement.

"People of Burninandom," Jenova says, "it is time we stop allowing the national parliament crush the minority. It is time we become our own majority."

The crowd cheers. Jenova walks away. No one moves to stop her.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When he begins being questioned, Guggenheim reveals several things. First, he hated Glock Remberg. Second, he hates Thorgood. Third, he's fairly influential. Fourth, he knew that Thorgood's command codes were used in the hijacking of the jumper used in Glock's assassination. He covers this slip well by continuing to talk, but it was out there. He knew.

= BURNINANDOM'S VOICE =

Jenova Incinerator returned to Burninandom today, and her return and controversial statements have pitched the colony into a full-fledged debate over a topic no less serious than secession. The streets are clearly divided (albeit far from a close divide). Regional parliaments have been called to cast their votes on secession from the Motherland.

Both sides have taken to placing symbols on their front lawns. In fact, the colors, blue for loyalty, red for secession, can be seen from space. Our recon ships noted that of all residential districts, about 83% of the grounds are RED, and 12% are BLUE.

That being said, this is being debated much more heavily in the parliaments.

Jenova Incinerator has staked her own personal reputation on the venture of secession, alleging that Dr. Thorgood is responsible for the death of Emperor Remberg, and backing it up with proof that Thorgood's own command codes were used to take out the cloaked jumper which assassinated the good emperor. She further cites Thorgood's unrelenting attacks on the church, and his inflammation of The Destroyer, concluding that he is unfit to be emperor.

Will keep you up to date.

How dare you harbor Jenova Incinerator, lie to me about it, and release her where she can do the most damage to this nation?

I was trying to talk to you. Solicit your help and guidance even. Were you playing with me from the beginning? The emotional appeal for me to believe in a religion was very convincing, to your credit. But hell, you were lying to me the entire time! Religion doesn't make you a better person. Being a better person makes you a better person.

For your information, our machines are not sentient, and do require the occasional maintenance. I have freed my people from a good 98% of labor, but not all.

So keep your lying, judgmental memos out of my mailbox from now on.

Sincerely,
Emperor Thorgood

= BURNINATION NATIONAL NEWS =

THE CITY OF THE REBIRTH -- Breaking news from the city; Burninandom considers secession. Our sources say that Jenova Incinerator, wanted for stealing information pertaining to the death of Emperor Remberg, has essentially walked into Burninandom and put all their long-held beliefs into a coherent platform.

She's railed against all the changes Thorgood's put into effects, on various religious grounds as well as alleged that the Emperor perpetrated Emperor Remberg's death.

Emperor Thorgood furiously denies these ludicrous charges, and decries Mrs. Incinerator's willingness to tear Burnination in half. He promises military retribution should the colony decide to break all ties to Burnination, or attempt to front its own individual government.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 pm

And the Rutians immediately press on the command codes issue. How easy are they to break? Can they be stolen?

Elsewhere, Kennah receives the message from Thorgood. She sighs and shakes her head. She tosses the datapad over to Shein who reads it.

Shein is silent for a moment before laughing. "Can I? Please? Pleasepleaseplease?"

Kennah rolls her eyes. "Fine, but I get to read it before you send it."

Shein nods and begins writing a message.

You know, I actually didn't think you had any balls on you. I was wrong. You got a brass pair. Last time I accused Kennah of cheating at a game of chess, I was on the couch for several months. She's ignoring you now, so I'd say you got off easy.

As to the bit on religion, that was actually my input to the last message. I'm sure you noticed that it was written by both me and Kennah.

Now, the bit about Jenova. We did not send her to Burninandom. As it is, we do have Guggenheim and have never hid that.

I may disagree with how you're implementing things, but I do believe my respect for you just raised a bit, just because of the guts it took to send Kennah that last message. It may not mean much, but if you actually attack your colony, you'll be making the same mistake we made with the Pandati. Learn from the mistakes of others. If they want to go, let them go. It'd be better to cut them off completely than to end the lives of those who just want to live their lives the way they want. Right? It's what we should have done. Instead, we nearly wiped out an entire race because of stupidity. Please don't make the same mistake.

Kennah takes a look at the message and nods slightly. She looks a little irritated though.

Shein sends the message off.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 12:12 am

I would rather avoid a civil war, but if Burninandom chooses secession and you invade to prevent it, I will intervene, even if the rest of the planet does not, and I will join the fighting personally. I don't particularly care what you choose to do with your subjects who remain loyal, but you and I will have problems if you do not allow those who no longer wish to be under your rule leave.

Sincerely,
Emperor Dmitri Medvedev III
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A New Direction   A New Direction - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A New Direction
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next