Korel - Nationstates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Korel - Nationstates

A forum for the Korel Region on Nationstates

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 am

Shein nods slightly to Arren. "Yes, by all rights, you should." He sighs. "Arren, did you consider the possibility that she's trying to cause internal strife?"

Arren nods. "I did. That's why I don't want this out in the open right now."

Shein continues reading on the datapad. "Who did the scan?"

"Dylan and Michael." Arren shrugs. "They were the best that I had access to on short notice."

Shein nods, then looks up, directly at Jenova. "Apparently, I've been sending Adriane messages for the past five years." Oh, he's taking this well. Or so it seems. He tosses the datapad on the desk.

Kennah picks that moment to show up. She looks between Shein and Arren. "What's wrong?"

Shein picks the datapad up and tosses it to Kennah.

Kennah catches it and reads it. "Oh." She has the reaction that Shein is holding back. She faints.

Arren is barely able to catch her before she hits the ground.

Shein doesn't move though. Even though he's doing a good job of staying calm and conscious, he's still in shock over this.
Back to top Go down
https://korel.forummotion.com
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 9:18 am

"I imagine that this is so ruffling because your telepaths are supposedly infallible?" Jenova asks. "Because I can think of several ways for this to have worked without you having done anything."
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Shein nods. "So can I. If she were able to intercept my communications, or even hacked my account, it would certainly seem that I were sending things to her. Combine that with her convincing herself that I were sending things to her directly and even a telepath couldn't tell the difference." He's practically whispering. He finally looks at Arren and speaks louder. "I want Dylan and Michael to do a scan of me." He finally registers that Kennah is unconscious. "Damn, I wish I could react like that and still be considered the bad ass in the room." He frowns. "Cause I'm damned close to it."

Arren nods. "Right. Believe me, I've thought about a lot of ways she could fool them, but Dylan and Michael have never been wrong on a scan before."

Shein shakes his head. "If I'm right, they're not wrong. Remember, Arren, telepaths can only find what is truly believed in a person's mind."

Arren does call for Dylan and Michael, though after he puts in a call for a medical team.

The medical team arrives first and manages to revive Kennah, who is immediately sat down in a chair. By the time Dylan and Michael show up, the medical team is gone.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Dmitri, having woken from sleeping off a massive amount of chicken and vodka, finally responds.

(Encrypted)
To: Kennah

I don't really know. Is exiling her an option?

Dmitri
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 12:03 am

Jenova nods at Shein's speech, satisfied that no one will be losing their minds or jumping to conclusions. Jenova clearly agrees with the decision to scan Shein's mind, but says nothing, for she wasn't prompted and it isn't her place to approve or disapprove of their decisions.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 12:19 am

Dylan and Michael look at each other before Dylan frowns and shakes his head. He doesn't speak though. Michael sighs and motions toward Shein. Dylan moves toward Shein, probably having won the silent argument that went on between them.

Shein seems amused by the two, though he doesn't laugh. He just smiles slightly. He's a little tense.

Arren seems to notice Shein's nervousness. He walks over and stands behind Shein, resting his hands on Shein's shoulders for a moment. He looks down at Shein, a clear expression of 'you don't have to do this'.

Shein looks up at Arren, then reaches up and takes hold of Arren's right hand with his left. "I have to do this." He looks over at Dylan and nods.

Dylan removes his gloves and places his hand on the side of Shein's head. He crouches a little to get at eye level and just stares into Shein's eyes. After a moment, he pulls back completely, breaking off physical contact as well.

Kennah just watches all of this happen, not able to do anything to help Shein out, though she did read and respond to a message.

Dylan stumbles a little, Michael catching him and holding him up. "I don't know how it's even possible."

Arren raises a brow at Dylan. "What?"

Dylan shakes his head. "There's been no contact with Adriane. He believed her to be dead until she was brought here."

No one dared to say it. No one dared to say 'I told you so'. At least no Rutian dared it.

To: Dmitri
(Encrypted)

It's doubtful. I don't know how she's doing it, but she's causing internal strife by pointing the finger at Shein. She claims he's been in direct contact with her even though he thought her dead. I'm ready to kill her myself at this point.

Kennah
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 12:30 am

"We have a process," Jenova says, "that will allow us to reconstruct, as video and audio, everything in a person's mind that they can recall. A memory device. It can be used to locate inconsistencies, which would indicate the modification of a memory, or some other trickery. We can use this on Adriane if you'd like. You can all be present there. Though, there is a small risk that we'll have to discuss if this is a course of action you want to take."

"Just trying to give you as many options as possible," Jenova says.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 9:45 am

Shein finally lets go of Arren's hand, though Arren doesn't move from behind Shein. Shein nods to Jenova. "Personally, I'd like to know exactly how she managed to trick our telepaths into thinking I was in contact with her. Honestly, I think she's delusional." He looks over at Kennah. "I told you I wouldn't interfere in your decision, however, I'm changing my mind. I don't want her anywhere near me."

Kennah can't help but smile a little. "Oh, I'm leaning toward a slow and painful death at this point. Though I'm not making my mind up yet. I'm just a little too pissed at her."

Shein has to laugh, though it's one of those 'i know what you mean' laughs. He looks back at Jenova. "Do it. I really don't care about the risks to her."

Kennah nods and doesn't say anything, but it looks like she's in complete agreement.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:45 am

Jenova nods. "If any of you would like to come, we can begin as soon as you'd like."

Jenova heads to the cells where Adriane is being kept. When she, and whoever decided to come with her, arrives, she pulls out her commlink and presses a few buttons. A large machine appears, as does a chair with restraints, and a small, round item resembling a coin.

At this point, Adriane will need to get into the chair, and Jenova will fasten the restraints. If she resists, Jenova will just stun her, then put her in the chair and fasten the restraints.

Then, the round object, which it is now obvious has a thin metal point sticking out of one end, is stuck to Adriane's temple.

Jenova is now ready to begin.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 am

Everyone in the room, with the exception of Dylan and Michael go along. That is, Shein, Kennah, and Arren.

Of course, Adriane resists. She wants nothing to do with those restraints. Hell, she even screams about being the Imperial companion.

Shein flinches at that scream before Jenova can stun Adriane. He and Kennah seem to instinctively hold on to each other for support. Arren, however, is watching all of this with no emotion present. He's just waiting to see how it unfolds.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 12:25 pm

(OOC: The machine is outputting from the brain's memory. If the signals are messed up, and she's just insane, the picture and sound will be wrong. Just wrong, and it will be clear to all. If her memories were altered in some way, everything will be fine, but Jenova will call it from the machine's readouts. It's a lie detector with a bunch more gadgets and features really.)

Jenova goes over to the large machine, which it is now clear is pointing at Adriane in the chair, and presses a button. Adriane comes to immediately.

"Now all you need to do is call the right memories to the surface," Jenova says to the Rutians present. "And it will become obvious if she is insane, or if here memories have been tampered with. I'll demonstrate quickly."

She looks at Adriane, and asks, "What was the last thing you ate."

The memory of her last meal in the cell here should appear on a screen complete with sound and picture on the machine. Just from the force of her recollection of it.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Adriane's last meal was a prison meal. Doesn't look appealing, but it's nutritionally sound.

Arren nods slightly, then looks at Adriane. "How did you get the information about our technology?"

The images would be that of her reading messages from Shein. The messages are clearly personalised and some of them have mention of leaving Kennah to be with Adriane again.

Shein bristles on seeing that. "I never..." He forces himself to be quiet. The way he's looking at Adriane is not conflicted in any way. He's pissed at her for what she's done. And he's even more pissed at the fact that she's trying to cause strife.

Adriane, however, is clearly confused at how Shein is reacting, and the memories make that clear. She truly doesn't understand why he's acting this way.

Arren sighs. "Okay, you say Shein knew you were alive. How did he know?"

Adriane's memory pulls up a conversation from before Christian was born. One in which she and Shein discussed her faking her death and where she would go. It was a means of protecting her from his enemies.

Shein bristles again, but this time, manages to stay quiet. Probably because Kennah tightens her hold on Shein.

There's no indication of insanity or memory tampering.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Jenova frowns at the machine's other outputs. Without looking up, she says, "This is seriously limiting the number of possible ways this could work," Jenova says. "I think we all still believe that Shein did not do this, but there is no evidence that Adriane is insane, nor is there any indication that her memory has been altered or tampered with to make her believe that this occurred."

Now looking up from the machine, "Either this," gesturing towards Adriane, "is the result of some technology we have not yet fathomed, someone very good with computers was able to send Adriane these messages, or Adriane is from some alternate dimension or something, like the people from Dreva."
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Shein finally speaks up, though he doesn't talk to Adriane. "What if she made herself believe it?" Now he looks at Adriane. "I don't know why you're doing this, but if you truly knew me, you'd know that I would never do anything to threaten the imperial Republic. That includes sending messages to the enemy." He sighs. "Had I known you were alive, I would have wanted you to come back. You have no idea how devastated I was." Shein moves off, not leaving, but no longer watching. Kennan goes with him.

Arren just watches Adriane. He does see the surprise on her face which causes him to raise a brow.

Adriane shakes her head slightly. "Why is he lying?" Being in the restraints, she can't wipe away the tears that start falling. Probably a good thing Shein left when he did.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Jenova shakes her head at Shein's question. "That is the sort of thing this machine was specifically designed to counter. If she were forcing herself to believe it, we'd detect it."

She pauses for a moment. "Although..."

She does something on the machine. "I've sent the results to a Thorgood. I'll be able to tell you for sure in like -"

Her commlink buzzes. She does show it to the Rutians.

(ENCRYPTED)
TO: Jenova

You missed it because you have to go way way back to before she even knew Shein to catch the discrepancy.

It's like she lives in la-la land so completely that it fools the machine if you ask her about the recent past.

Sincerely,
Thorgood
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 2:54 am

(Encrypted)

I don't know what to say. I suppose we could try one of our telepaths or Jedi or whatever, if you're fine with that.

- Dmitri
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 4:36 pm

(OOC: Sorry. I have been really sick the past week.)

Shein nods as he reads the response. "So, she's delusional." He sighs and nods again. "I had no idea of that when I was with her."

Kennah frowns. "Well, knowing that she's not some alternate Adriane makes me feel a little better." She looks at Shein. "No offense here, but she's not getting within ten feet of you." She nudges Shein back a little.

Shein actually smirks at Kennah. "Jealous?"

Kennah shakes her head. "Actually, no. I just think she's a danger to you."

Arren nods to Kennah. Apparently, he agrees with that assessment.

To: Dmitri
(Encrypted)

She appears to be delusional. If you want to try and break through that, I'm fine with it. I'd like to know exactly how she got all the technical information she did.

Kennah
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 4:44 pm

(Encrypted)

I suppose I can try.

Dmitri

--------------------------------

The orders are sent out.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 5:45 pm

"And now we're back at square one," Jenova says, "with no idea how she got her intel."
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 1:22 am

A Rhean corvette arrives with a few Jedi and Imperial Knights, as well as a few others from Bastet of two different species, some of whom opt to further assist in aiding the Rutians medically. Hopefully, they won't freak out the populace there. One of them can be described as basically "octospiders." The other species, which should never go to Earth, are basically talking deathclaws.

(OOC: Yes, they're the octospiders from the Rama books by Arther C. Clarke and Gentry Lee.)
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Arren nods to Jenova. "Yeah."

The Rheans and company would be brought down to where Adriane is being kept. Those that want to aid in humanitarian relief are allowed to do so.

The word has finally spread through Rutia that Adriane is apparently alive and being held captive. Some people start to call for her release. Apparently, they're unaware of what effect her being here is having on Shein.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 12:49 am

The Knights attempt to probe into Adriane's mind, hopefully with some success.

The others go out and assist. The Rutians will discover that the octospiders are deaf if any of them choose to talk to them.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:52 am

The Burninites do provide humanitarian relief to a limited extent. They're awaiting orders that aren't coming from a currently indecisive Jenova.

"Any ideas?" Jenova asks Arren.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 7:54 pm

The only success the Knights have is the same that Jenova got with her machine. Adriane truly believes that Shein knew she was alive and still talked to her and even set all this up. Heck, they even get the password she's been using to access her mail. '5274-358-14'

Arren shakes his head to Jenova. "None. Before your attempt, I might have thought she was a clone, but it's doubtful anyone would be that thorough to supply her with memories from before she met Shein."
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 7:57 pm

"OK, what about an alternate timestream or something? We've seen something like that before," Jenova suggests.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper   Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not With A Bang, Nor A Whimper
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next