Korel - Nationstates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Korel - Nationstates

A forum for the Korel Region on Nationstates

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Selathorn

Selathorn

New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Empty
PostSubject: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 1:03 pm

In recent months, the Admirals of the Planetary Defense Fleet have become more and more displeased by the relative strength of the Governate's naval forces. Although once one of the more powerful navies of the galaxy, second only to the Rhean Confederacy's, the emergence of militaristic states like the OrdenReich and Heraklea with their powerful and massive capitol ships have diminished the relative strength of the Planetary Defense Fleet. Though still very competent, due to systems generally more efficient than those of the Governate's foreign rivals, it has become more and more obvious that an update in equipment and tactics is necessary to respond to the increasing power of the Governate's rivals.

As such, one of the first actions taken was the retrofitting of a large portion of the Planetary Defense Fleet with Quantum Chambers, replacing the old Fusion Engines that were previously the dominant power source when much of the Fleet was first constructed. The new Quantum Chambers, already used on the UNS Odysseus show a roughly 50% increase in efficiency and power over the Fusion Engines, which drastically increases the capabilities of older military vessels.

Additionally, based on University researchers' study of the basics of Burnite teleportation, a new and highly experimental form of shielding has been developed to compliment the already-existing Probability Sheaths on Centauri capitol ships. The new Displacement Shields, as they are called, are capable of teleporting incoming enemy fire away from the vessel and redirecting it towards enemy ships. Though this represents a significant tactical advantage, the Displacement Shields have been shown to be ineffective under sustained fire, due to only being able to absorb a certain amount of enemy fire before needing to recharge. It has also been seen that enemy fire can pass through the shield occasionally even when fully charged. Nevertheless it represents a revolutionary military advancement, one very unique to the Centauri.

Combined with the deflective properties of a Probability Sheath, another unique Centauri form of shielding, the chances of hitting a Centauri vessel with targeted fire is low, especially when the relatively small profile of Centauri capitol ships is considered. This has led to the latest development in Centauri naval tactics. Instead of engaging at mid-range and firing at a distance while releasing fighters and fighter-bombers, the new tactics involve engaging at extremely close-range to take the advantage of the close-range effectiveness of most Centauri weaponry and new shielding technology. Though usually considered a high-risk strategy before, now new technologies have made it much less so and it has been determined to be a viable strategy for dealing with ultra-massive warships commonly employed by the Governate's rivals.

(OOC: Basically, this is my answer to you all having massive ships that I can fit whole fleets of mine into Razz

I also updated my military factbook, including with new graphics for the capitol ships, if you care to look at that kind of stuff.)
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 1:30 pm

(OOC: Heh. Yeah, I was kind of "what" to the Ordenreich having fifteen planet destroyers. I have only one, even if BDZ and all does a similar job.
EDIT: On closer inspection, an Eclipse still outpowers it by a stupidly massive amount. A petaton is 1×10^15 tons of TNT. A Death Star blast is about 10^28 tons of TNT. If we go by the assumption that instead of being 2/3 of an entire Death Star blast but 2/3 of an individual beam, it comes out to about 8.3x10^27 tons. So instead of K-T extinction level blasts like the Ordenreich's FOAB, I think that amount of firepower matches the whole "searing entire continents in a single blast" description. Mind you, the FOAB is also stupidly powerful. Mine is just even more so. FOABs would undoubtedly wreck the crap out of an ISD fleet, to put it lightly.)
Back to top Go down
Sacae

Sacae

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 pm

(OOC: Thats why I restricted their construction to only 15. RP wise its because of the destructive power and cost, OOC wise its meant to keep things on my end balanced. Besides I'm more interested in building carriers to build huge swarms of fighters as it seems many powers are more interested in ship to ship combat and they don't have many fighter defenses. Also Pan think of it this way... shut up :p)
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 4:33 pm

(OOC: What, I have both. My ships are just good at hitting you at close range where it's hard to hit them back Razz)
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:53 pm

(OOC: Yeah, we compromise. All our ships also serve as carriers. The wedge design also allows for excellent point defense since the only spot where you won't have 50+% of the guns of the ship pointed at you are at the rear, which still has a fair amount of guns and has exhaust stuff. Oh, and Sacae, you really should get Mothership Zeta Crew.)
Back to top Go down
Sacae

Sacae

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 7:33 pm

(OOC: What the Fallout 3 DLC?)
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 am

Back to top Go down
Heraklea

Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:06 am

OOC: Why am I getting the feeling that in order to be competitive, I'm going to have to develop technology that is essentially magic coded by technobabble?
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:15 am

(OOC: FOABs will do. Star Destroyers are also much more expensive and limited. Plus, there are really severe political ramifications to doing the whole wiping out planets thing. Really, the firepower stuff is just fluff. If you pay attention to my RPs, my ships tend to suffer from The Worf Effect.)
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:28 am

OOC: Yeah, but it's kind of frustrating when Burnie waves his hand and stops a massive heated battle from the other side of the system with a frakking bubble. All while I was at work where I can't play on the internet unless I get very lucky at lunch. A fun, exciting and dramatic RP was brought to a screeching halt just so he could say "look how shiny and magical and good I am, tee hee."
Back to top Go down
Sacae

Sacae

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:51 am

(OOC: @Pan: I'm not following...

@Heraklea: Normally we try to allow for players a time to post. More often than not everyone has one chance to post before we "move on." As for Burn's so called space magic I can't really help you with that. No one else seems to have a problem with that and, in my experience, Burn, Pan, Sela, and others we very fair in how they RPed. I haven't found many instances that Burn godmodded and when he does it was in the interest of the story we were RPing)
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 2:52 pm

(OOC: MZC is a really awesome FO3 mod. I'm also saying my ships have a habit of getting blown up to show how serious a threat is.)
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Heraklea wrote:
OOC: Why am I getting the feeling that in order to be competitive, I'm going to have to develop technology that is essentially magic coded by technobabble?
OOC: LOL.

None of mine is. Burnination has strong shields and stealth, and is otherwise pretty weak. The only one I honestly don't understand is Khronkite sometimes :p.
Back to top Go down
Sacae

Sacae

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 5:36 pm

(OOC: @Pan I don't have Fallout 3 for computer only console)
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Heraklea wrote:
OOC: Yeah, but it's kind of frustrating when Burnie waves his hand and stops a massive heated battle from the other side of the system with a frakking bubble.  All while I was at work where I can't play on the internet unless I get very lucky at lunch.  A fun, exciting and dramatic RP was brought to a screeching halt just so he could say "look how shiny and magical and good I am, tee hee."
(OOC: I didn't even see this until now.

Note that I never mean to come across that way. If you want, I can delete the posts/retconn my involvement. I do repeat that a shield breaks if you shoot at it enough.)
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Sacae wrote:
(OOC: @Pan I don't have Fallout 3 for computer only console)
Different Sacae on the Nexus, then? I assumed it was you but I guess same username.
Back to top Go down
Sacae

Sacae

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 11:39 pm

I think I made an account for the Nexus at one point but it was for some reason I can't remember a long time ago. My only computer games are RTS games. Because the next console generation is going to blow huge I am thinking of making the change to full PC gaming but I need the money to buy a gaming PC first
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics   New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Developments in Military Technology and Tactics
Page 1 of 1