HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Maynard Incident

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Heraklea

PostSubject: The Maynard Incident   Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:18 am

6,000,000 light-seconds within the Centauri frontier...

“So tell me about this juicy prize you've spotted,” the pirate captain ordered with a predatory grin.

“She's a merchantman, fat and happy and hasn't spotted us.  Transponders indicate she's the Facila Fortunon out of Zamenhof1.”

“Sounds tasty.  Get us closer.”  The pirate ship did get closer.  It took almost a half-hour for the merchantman to respond to the presence of the faster vessel by pulling partially off its path to allow the vessel to pass with large safe margins.  Instead, the pirate ship made a bee-line for the merchantman and, upon getting close enough, fired a warning shot across its bow.

Facila Fortunon, you are ordered to surrender immediately or we will destroy you.”  The message was sent off to the merchantman and a surrender reply was immediately received.  Fifteen minutes later, the pirate vessel pulled parallel to the merchantman.

“Hey, Cap'.  There's something weird happening to that merchy's hull.  Like a bunch of panels are moving or some-” the report was cut off as the pirate vessel was suddenly raked with tachyon beam fire.

“Attention pirate vessel,” came the communication burst almost immediately afterward.  “This is the Heraklean Naval Ship Maynard.  You are hereby ordered to surrender and stand-too for boarding.”

Captain Deguzis, commanding officer of the HNS Maynard sat regarding the holographic display of his ships position in space.  They were still a long way from his ships operations area for her anti-piracy patrols and already they had captured a pirate vessel.  The pirates had been succesfully detained and a crew was already crawling around the pirate ship, determining if it was worth trying to put a prize crew aboard and taking it anywhere or if it would be best to just scuttle the thing.

Suddenly, a new signature appeared on the plot and Captain Deguzis swallowed a curse as the Tactical Officer announced its presence.

“New contact, signature of Centauri warship, transponder agrees.”

Universe couldn't let me enjoy for two hours even, could it? Captain Deguzis thought.

1 Zamenhof is a monostellar polity within the Heraklean sphere of influence.  The relationship between the two states is complicated at the best of times.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:46 am

PDF Command Complex, Port Garland, MY 2287

Duana Kedzierski, a recently trained information technician from the University of Planet, was watching the panel of sensors and reports pertaining to the protection of civilian ventures within the Centauri sphere of influence. It was a dull job at the best of times - pretty much nothing ever happened, aside from an occasional vessel stranded from lack of fuel, or if they were lucky, a pirate attack.

As such, the job was consigned to a handful of new hires of the PDF Command Complex. Even so, it still afforded a generous salary and allotment, and there were always interesting things to do on site afterhours, with Port Garland being the focal point of trade between Alpha Centauri and the galaxy.

Still, today did not seem to be one of those days. A report flashed out from the holoscreen, notifying Duana of an engagement in the Centauri frontier between two vessels, one unidentified, and another the Facila Fortunon, out of... Zamenhof? Where in hell was that? Most disturbingly, there seemed to be military-grade firepower on site, with traces of tachyon fire. She quickly broadcasted the code for a pirate attack the nearest stationed Homeguard Flotilla, who immediately began to move towards the scene.

The Bridge of the UNHS Aegis

The Homeguard was something of an odd duck in the structure of the Planetary Defense Force. It was part of its naval branch, but it wasn't exactly part of the Planetary Defense Fleet, either. Initially made up of a small group of mothballed vessels to take the pressure of protecting merchant vessels off of the Planetary Defense Fleet, it became its own distinct group in time. Operating with generally small and fast vessels like the Garland-Class Corvette, and the Chiron-Class Light Frigate, as well as with some captured and purchased vessels, it focused on disabling hostile vessels with ion weaponry and then quickly boarding them while they were vulnerable.

Although it was generally a rather competent force, it was usually sneered at by the Planetary Defense Fleet whenever personnel from both forces met together, seeing as most of its equipment was made up of old hand-me-downs and that most of its crew had been second pick in the selection process of PDF personnel. Nevertheless the marines of the Homeguard were considered some of the most proficient from Alpha Centauri, seeing regular engagements and often beating numerically superior opponents on their own turf. Their equipment was first-rate too, receiving the latest University military tech.

Captain Cahir Jekyll was in charge of one such vessel, as well as of the Flotilla as a whole, made up of a Light Frigate and two corvettes. He was a seasoned veteran of the Homeguard, having seen both action as a marine as well as on board the vessel as an officer. He wore his Homeguard uniform with pride and publicly shamed those who didn't - as far as he was concerned, if the Homeguard didn't have any pride in itself, it might as well be the second-rate sad sacks that the PDF crewmen made it out to be. This particular engagement promised to be particularly exciting. Tachyon beams? More difficult to deal with than turbolasers or fusion lasers, but certainly not impossible to.

When Captain Cahir arrived on scene, though, something seemed... wrong. Neither of the vessels looked exactly like merchantmen, both clearly armed for combat, with one apparently having disabled and board the other. Then, after taking a second to register, the sensor overlay appeared over his viewscreen, and then he saw that the disabled vessel was unidentified, and that the one armed with tachyon beams was... the Facila Fortunon?

Maybe his sensors were- no, no, that never happened. It took something much more serious to throw off the sensors, with all of the sensor technicians and the various artificial expert systems embedded within the software to ensure maximum accuracy. He saw what he had thought he had seen- what seemed to be registered as a merchantman somehow was heavily armed, and then captured a pirate vessel. Always a bizarre situation, but more confounding were the reports of tachyon armaments, because it was only too obvious that the disabled vessel had no tachyon armaments.

This appeared to be more than anything, a false-flag operation. With that decided, he barked out to the crew, and the fleet as a whole, "Ready ion weaponry, and fire on the vessel to disable non-essential systems. Prepare a boarding party immediately, double standard strength. I don't know what they've got on board, but if they've got the gall to launch a false-flag attack, whoever these people are, then they might have anything."

With that, Captain Cahir turned on his commlink, and broadcasted a message to the Facila Fortunon, "Attention, merchantman Facila Fortunon, or whatever your vessel might be, this is the UNHS Aegis. Your false-flag operation is in violation of Centauri sovereignty as well as international agreements. Submit to customary boarding and comply with our instructions, and you may get off of this light. If you resist in any way - I repeat, if our sensors detect even the slightest flick of energy, every one of these ion cannons will be fired and we will forcibly board your vessel. Choose wisely."
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:43 pm

“TAC, switch the transponder to standard, COMM prep a burst to the Aegis.”  Captain Deguzis allowed himself one more moment of quiet frustration before recomposing himself.

“UHNS Aegis, this is the Heraklean Naval Ship Maynard.  We were en route to anti-piracy operations along the Centauri-Veridian trade lane when this pirate vessel attacked us.  We succeeded in disabling the pirate ship and capturing the crew.  Our weapon systems are standing down and we are willing to transfer custody of the captured pirates and their ship to you at this time.”

Having finished his recording, Captain Deguzis gave the order to transmit before allowing frustration to re-dominate his face.  This was the last thing he needed.  Being caught in the middle of a diplomatic incident like this was up there in terms of career nightmares, and he could almost see that flag officer's star flying away as he offered up the first pirates of his cruise in hopes of placating the damnable Centauri officer.

“Someone let Chief Rigel know he needs to speed up his interrogation, and remind him 'no marks.'”

MAC Rigel (SW/PW/PSI) didn't even look at the pirate in front of him, instead focusing on the tools he was carefully examining and preparing.  He could see the pirate's fear plainly thanks to his psyonic abilities, and had already penetrated the mind enough to read surface thoughts.

“You know,” he began, “I wasn't always a riding marine.  I transferred over a few years back specifically for these patrols.  Back when, I used to be in the 2nd Marine Division.  The Legion.  I got the taste for pirate hunting while I was with them.  While deploying to engage some enemy of some ally we came across this piddling pirate ship.  Just one shot killed its engines, leaving it dead in space.  When we laid hands on the bastards, we held a lottery.  Those whose numbers were pulled first we just shoved into an airlock and spaced them.  The next group, we broke every bone and joint they had.  One at a time.  The next group really speaks volumes about the capabilities of corpsmen as not one of them died as we crucified them with a nail driver.  And you know what we did with the last pirate?  We set him down on his home-world right as rain... after we had forced him to watch as we worked on his friends.  Ah, good times.”  Rigel finally turned to look at the pirate.  “I hope you'll forgive that monologue.  I just wanted to preface our conversation with why I love my job so much.  But let's get down to it, shall we?

“Where was it you said your ship operated out of?”

Last edited by Heraklea on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:26 pm

(OOC: The Centauri don't really trade with the Human Hive, because they consider it a rogue colony. The only trade it really does get is with the Veridian Dominion. The tradelane is probably more aptly described as the Centauri-Veridian tradelane.)

Captain Cahir's eyebrows furrowed as the words of Captain Deguzis filtered through the commlink, as his eyes darted to the new identification broadcasted by what was apparently the HNS Maynard. What he was saying didn't seem too far from the truth, but as far as Captain Cahir was concerned it was a load of bull to him anyways. To him, it seemed more than obvious that a few critical details were left out, and he certainly wasn't going to be lenient with all that considered.

When Captain Deguzis finishes, Captain Cahir replies rather sternly, "HNS Maynard, this is Captain Cahir. Though anti-piracy is a laudable goal, there are nevertheless other matters that take precedence in this situation. Firstly, you have failed to notify the Planetary Defense Force of your arrival in the Centauri sphere one full mission day in advance, as per the Centauri Maritime Code. I would not believe you or your superiors to be so remiss as to forget this procedure: your incursion was clearly intentional."

"Secondly, it is clear that your vessel is broadcasting a false identification, which is again a violation of the Centauri Maritime Code. Thirdly, your actions here stand on dubious legal ground. We have no way of knowing what exactly happened here, and your actions can be considered a form of entrapment. Additionally, you have no authority to take such action in the Centauri sphere. Though we will take the pirates you have taken into your custody into our own, it will hardly be the end of the matter."

With that, Captain Cahir clears his throat, and continues, "Finally, again, you must again submit to a boarding inspection. Based on what we have already seen, the violations that you and your crew have already performed, we may choose to take you and your crew into custody. Do not resist: you will only make the matter worse for yourself. God knows what the PDF will do you with you, but that's not my problem to worry about."
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Captain Deguzis internalized his groan as the situation went from bad to worse.  Revealing their status as a Heraklean warship was inevitable.  No inspection party could be fooled into believing the Maynard was in fact a cargo ship, but he had hoped the admission before it was discovered would help mitigate the circumstances.  There was no indication that his hope proved true, and the Centauri captain's intransigence was making his headache worse.

“Captain Cahir, this is Captain Deguzis.  I wish to at this time answer your concerns.  To your first point, I cannot rightly deny that we failed to inform the PDF on our upcoming arrival, though I must also admit that I don't have the authority to make such a communication.  Our movements had been classified at a level above my pay grade, and determinations on such information must be made by them, not I.

“To your second point, this vessel has a multiple registration as both the HNS Maynard, our standard identification, and as the Facila Fortunon.  This secondary registration was provided by the Zamenhofi government in accordance with the terms of the Interstellar Commerce Security Compact of which both the Heraklean and the Zamenhofi governments are signatories.  The registration is in fact a valid one.”  Captain Deguzis paused for a second, and reflected on his hope that his understanding of the diplomatic double-talk the legal status of the transponders had been explained to him hadn't just made him a liar.

“To your third point, we do have both our sensor net recordings and our communication recordings clearly demonstrating that we offered no provocation to the pirates when they decided to attack us.  We in no way coerced the pirates into attacking, and can hardly be considered guilty of entrapment.  I fully recognize that we have no authority to conduct anti-piracy operations within your sovereignty, however I would hope the fact that we were acting in a primarily defensive role in these circumstances may answer your concerns on this point.”  Captain Deguzis took a deep breath before addressing the final point he had hoped to avoid.

“We are prepared to receive your boarding party and allow inspection of all unclassified areas.  If you desire to go beyond those areas, however, I will insist on first contacting the commanding officer of our diplomatic mission.”

The nice thing about my style of interrogation, thought MAC Rigel, is that the subject really interrogates himself.  The carefully constructed lie about his history with The Legion had shaken apart almost all of the pirate's mental defenses, and so as the marine chief asked questions the answers jumped almost immediately to the front of the pirate's mind.  In many cases, the pirate answered truthfully, or did so after needling by the marine, and the constant surrender of information snowballed until the pirate told all that he knew.

Which was unfortunately very little, but just enough to know how to quickly break through the higher ranked pirates much easier.  And there were other little pieces that would be useful, such as the black station the pirates used as a headquarters and the presence of four other ships in the pirate “fleet.”
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:12 pm

While Captain Deguzis gave his reply, Captain Cahir was on a separate commlink, providing an update to the Homeguard Command Center back at Port Garland. Which, in turn, forwarded the message to the Council of Admirals, meaning that the situation now had the attention of the highest levels of naval command on Alpha Centauri. Then Captain Cahir turned his attention back to Captain Deguzis. With a brief delay to fully listen to what Captain Deguzis had said, Captain Cahir replied, his tone unchanged,

"I thank your for answering my concerns, though you should note that we shall continue to go through with our boarding and inspection. Concerning the lack of notification, though I cannot say so for sure, I find it difficult to imagine that an anti-piracy mission is worthy of such great secrecy as to require a complete lack of notification. I find it difficult to imagine a justification for doing so, considering that we are nothing if not cooperative so long as our sovereignty is fully respected.

"As for your dual registration, I will admit that I am not entirely familiar with this Compact, but nevertheless it belies a more fundamental issue. I can understand the utility of having such a double identity in dealing with pirates, but, that still doesn't change the fact that we were unaware of the presence of your warship. If we had been notified, I would personally have allowed your passage under a second registration, real registration or otherwise, and I imagine that many others would do the same. Still, this isn't something I have any real capacity to deal with, so let's just leave this subject here.

"As for the events that transpired, well, I'm not exactly in any position to question you at the moment, nor do I want to. That is best left for a later time, when my own superiors can get involved. I assure you that the situation will be thoroughly investigated, and that I personally do not suspect entrapment. However, with how the legal system works, it is necessary to consider all possibilities.

"Now, we are preparing to board momentarily. Ready your boarding lock for our boarding pod. As for your request, well..."

Very briefly, Captain Cahir cuts himself off, and within thirty seconds returns to the commlink, and finishes, "My superiors have deemed it within your right to contact your embassy for that, yes."

With that, Captain Cahir, and four of his marines (two Spartan Phlangites, and two Peacekeepr Infantrymen, all armed with the latest plasma rifles) are loaded onto the boarding pod, and make their way towards the HNS Maynard.
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:01 pm

“Centauir docking pod, you are redirected to Boat Bay 3.  You are cleared for entry.”

“You know,” Commodore Sterling, the ambassador from Heraklea commented to his adjutant, “it'd be nice if they gave us a heads up when they were about to drop something on our heads.  You know, just in case we wanted to put on a helmet.”  His adjutant said nothing but the glower on her face spoke to her agreement.  “Nothing for it now.  Go see about getting a meeting with the head of the Centauri diplomatic service so I can minimize the fall out.”

“What have you got chief?” Captain Deguzis asked as he waited on the arrival of Centauri boarding party.

“Hard intel on pirate operations just inside the Centauri frontier.  The ship we grabbed is one of five operating out of a black station positioned to track movements along the trade lane to Yggdrasil.  They look for merchies without escorts that are broadcasting a registration they think won't bring us or the Centauri down on them.  They probably only targeted us because no one out here has even heard of Zamenhof.”

“Well that's something at least.  And you didn't actually harm anyone, did you?”

“What, and get my finger nails dirty?  You know me better than that sir.”

“That I do,” Captain Deguzis said as his com chirped.  “One moment.  Captain Deguzis.”

“Captain Deguzis, COMM.  From Commodore Sterling, all classified areas to remain restricted.”

“Very well, COMM.”  Captain Deguzis deactivated his com.  “Hope that doesn't irk Captain Cahir too badly,” he said as the docking pod came to rest in the small-boat bay.

Last edited by Heraklea on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Once the boarding pod has docked, Captain Cahir soon exits from the door, flanked by two rows of well-equipped marines. With a stern nod towards Captain Deguzis, he says to the Heraklean crew, "And here we are. I must admit, this is more of a formality than anything, but nevertheless we must go through all of the motions. Show us through whichever areas aren't unclassified. We'll collect the prisoners as we exit."

In the meantime, as Commodore Sterling's adjutant tries to get a hold of a high-ranking Centauri diplomat for a meeting, Talent Zhang begins to try to reach Commodore Sterling to set up a meeting herself. Being Brother Lal's chief diplomatic adviser and experienced diplomat, she is more or less the de facto Foreign Minister of the Planetary Governate and is second only to Brother Lal himself when it came to creating foreign policy.

The message is well-encrypted, quite short, and quite simple.

[Heavily Encrypted]

To: Commodore Sterling

Brother Lal has become quite aware of the issue concerning the HNS Maynard, and has instructed me to pursue a meeting with you so this matter can be resolved as quickly as possibly. We do not want to cause a conflict over this single incident, but we nevertheless has important points to make concerning this matter. Please meet me at Secure Meeting Chamber #2, Port Garland, 0430 Centauri Standard Time. Please reply ASAP.

Cordially,
Talent Zhang
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:54 pm

“Of course, Captain, though we may need to use a few of our cutters to move the prisoners.  There are almost one hundred and fifty of them.”  Captain Deguzis began the tour with the Captain Cahir right next to him. The Maynard's XO positioned herself behind them, and slowed the rest of the party to a few paces behind the two commanders as Captain Deguzis leaned slightly into the Centauri officer and spoke in a hushed tone.

“I feel I would be remiss if I did not inform you that traditionally, on Heraklean vessels, one requests permission to board before entering the ship proper, even if one is merely disembarking an already landed small boat.  It is one of the ceremonial courtesies that we typically demand.”

Commodore Johnathon Sterling stood staring at the wall art in the chamber, awaiting the arrival of Talent Zhang.  He had elected to wear his service dress black uniform, a simple affair with ribbons instead of medals that he had always liked for its conservative appearance.  To stand in contrast, he had also decided to wear his saber, a choice that was easily as dramatic as it was potentially provocational.  The sword was, however, a traditional symbol of Heraklean power, and its presence sent the needed message of his power to act on behalf of the State of Heraklea.

“Which finally brings us to our prisoners,” said Captain Deguzis as the party stepped into the brig.  A few of the pirate prisoners flinched when they saw the marine chief standing towards the rear of the group.  “They have not been mistreated, although we did interrogate a few of them before we encountered each other, and during the course of the interview we have gained some intelligence we would like to share with you at this time.  Based on human intelligence, we believe there are four other pirate ships operating out of a black station within your territory.  I have some cryptologic experts reviewing the computer data we retrieved attempting to confirm, but we do believe that the station is there.  The data packs we have beamed to the Aegis includes the believed coordinates of the station.”
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 am

(OOC: I hope you don't mind that I kind of take control of the pirates for a brief moment, but I think it's a nice chance to show a bit more of the rather totalitarian aspect of Alpha Centauri.)

When Captain Deguzis mentions the Heraklean etiquette for entering a ship to Captain Cahir, he pauses, and says in reply, "My sincerest apologies, then. I am afraid I wasn't aware of that, and I will keep in mind for future dealings with your people. Though, I will note that strictly speaking, saying that would have compromised my authority, albeit in a very small way. Nevertheless, know that I did not do so with intent to offend."

For the most part, he doesn't seem too interested in the inspection otherwise, with there being so little to see, not that he was exactly surprised, given that all of the classified areas were off limits. When he comes to the brig, however, he does regard the pirates with interest, inspecting them carefully, and nodding to Captain Deguzis as he explains what they had discovered and the information that they had transmitted. He says, in reply, with a bit of a chuckle,

"In all honesty, I could care less if they aren't mistreated. As long as they make it out of here in one piece, more or less, I'm entirely satisfied. Don't mistake me for one of those sentient rights muckrakers. As for this data that you've sent to us, well, I think Homeguard Command will look at it a bit more closely, and they should deal with it in short time. If it is what you say it is, it should be very useful in our continuing anti-piracy operations. If you could, let's get these prisoners loaded up onto the cutter, and I'll update you in a moment about your situation."

When the pirates begin to be directed towards the cutter, a look of apprehension and fear can be seen on some of their faces. Amongst some circles of the pirate subculture, being captured by Centauri is considered amongst the worst of fates. In some nations, they might be forced to serve years in prison, and sometimes subjected to brutal punishments, but usually there was at least some light at the end of the tunnel. But the Centauri were... different. No one ever really heard from pirates captured by the Centauri, and there were often apocryphal stories about captured pirates becoming Homeguard marines or PDF crewsmen, who seemed completely... changed. They acted differently, spoke differently, and most importantly, thought differently.

The stories weren't so far from the truth.

Talent Nancy Zhang arrived in the room perhaps two minutes after the arrival of Commodore Sterling. She wore the recently standardized blue-and-white jumpsuit that was the dominant mode of dress on Alpha Centauri ever since the days of the UNS Unity one hundred and eighty-seven years ago. Centered on the torso was the seal of the Centauri Governate, and on each shoulder there was the patch of the Peacekeeping Forces. Additionally, she wore a blue beret of the same color as the suit, with the traditional logo of the United Nations. As a rare luxury, the beret was made out of real, natural cotton.

The Talent herself was perhaps sixty years old, making her one of the younger members of the Centauri leadership (the norm is somewhere near a hundred-fifty to two hundred, due to longevity treatment), and she maintains the distinct appearance of youth, perhaps no more than thirty just based on appearance. Though Centauri technology was better at making one live longer than making one younger, a person could reasonably expect to avoid deterioration up to perhaps seventy years. Her hair was short and partial combed over, which had come into style on Alpha Centauri recently. Generally she gave the appearance of composure and confidence, if not exactly authority.

When she enters the room, she does so with a respectful nod towards Commodore Sterling, the usual manner the Centauri greet someone they consider of equal stature. Although a little off-put by the Commodore's sabre, she extends her hand in greeting, and says, "Greetings, Commodore Sterling. I apologize for the slight delay, but the scheduled shuttle was a few minutes late. I hope that the two of us can resolve the incident that the HNS Maynard had caused, without leaving any unnecessary stains on our otherwise sterling relationship."

Briefly pausing, she continues, "Firstly, as a show of our magnanimity, we are quite willing to release the HNS Maynard. The vessel itself is hardly our concern at the moment. What is our concern is a more fundamental issue... the issue, that is, of trust."

She then pauses the let the idea sink in, and continues, "We would have gladly allowed passage of the HNS Maynard under a double-registration so long as we would be informed. I cannot imagine that our knowledge would have caused such a setback for the mission as to result in failure. As you know, however, using a double-registration to conceal the intent of a warship is a very serious matter, and it is very difficult for our people to exercise our trust in yours if that has become your standard procedure. We must be fully informed about the passage of military vessels through our sphere, no exceptions."

In the meantime, once Captain Cahir returns to the UNHS Aegis, he sends another message to Captain Deguzis over the commlink. "Captain Cahir, here. I've gotten instructions for all of us to keep you here for now, and I've been told that there is a current discussion over all of this. Probably means they'll send you free, but God knows how long it'll take them."
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:55 pm

“Glad to hear we think of pirates in a similar manner,” said Captain Deguzis.  “We do offer humane treatment to surrendered pirates, but that's mostly to encourage them to surrender.  A handful of foreign states also like it, making it a good foreign relations tool as well.”

“Firstly,” said Commodore Sterling, “let me thank through you the Governate for their magnanimity in this matter by being willing to release the Maynard.  I recognize forgiving such an oversight is difficult, and your understanding is much appreciated.  I also recognize how this matter represents a breach of trust that I hope we will be able to repair.  I'm still waiting on official word from my superiors on why the passage was kept secret, though as a veteran of anti-piracy patrols I may be able to offer you a possible explanation.

“Piracy is a major problem in regions without a strong government to reign them in.  Heraklea's own history can attest to that.  The problems of piracy is frequently compounded by rogue states who legitimize pirates with letters of marque.  These governments shield the pirates and provide intelligence on merchantman and naval movements in the area.  Because of that, captains on anti-piracy patrol are often instructed not to reveal or discuss their movements, and their true identities in the case of Q-ships, to foreign governments.  A blanket order of that nature may have been issued without consideration of the fact that the route too and from the operation area would pass through the sovereignty of a trusted state.

“I have already submitted my own thoughts to my superiors, however while waiting on them I can offer one thing.  My post gives me great positional authority to issue rules for the conduct of Herakleans within Centauri sovereignty.  Rules that not even a fleet admiral could disregard unless and until an order from my direct chain of command countermands them.  I have placed in effect orders requiring Heraklean warships to immediately inform your government of their arrival in your territory at first opportunity.  A specialized diplomatic encryption is being created for use by ships which wish to remain anonymous from the population at large for opsec purposes.  A key will be transmitted to your government upon completion of the encryption.  I hope that will serve as a temporary solution until a more formal treaty can be made.”
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:16 pm

(OOC: Going to pass with Captain Cahir, seeing as that part of the RP has more or less been tidied up.)

Talent Zhang nods to Commodore Sterling's explanation, as it seemed to be a fairly logical explanation, as well as to his temporary order for Heraklean warships to inform the Centauri government upon entry over a diplomatic encryption. Once he is finished speaking, Talent Zhang says in reply, "We too are fully aware of the difficulties in dealing with pirates and other stateless entities. Such groups are the bane of the galaxy and of organized society, and we know that there are specific measures necessary in dealing with them.

"Though we have never used the strategy of your Q-ships, we see the value in it and we will not allow your missions to be compromised in any way, as there are stringent standards to prevent leakage of information to pirates or otherwise hostile foreign entities. The solution you have offered is an excellent one to restore some of our lost trust, however temporary, and I will see if I can secure some time in the future to formalize an agreement on the matter. In the meantime, however, I have one last preposition.

"From the crew of the HNS Maynard, we have received details of a 'black station' within our territory that is the operating center of a number of pirate vessels in the region. We would like to invite the Heraklean Navy to work with the Homeguard as part of a joint operation against the base. I feel that cooperation on such a matter should be an excellent way to restore relations between our polities and our militaries."
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:15 pm

A supremely predatory smile spread across Commodore Sterling's face.

“Speaking for Heraklea, Talent Zhang, I can say with certainty that we would relish the opportunity.”

“HNS Maynard, this is Commodore Johnathon Sterling, Chief of the Heraklean Diplomatic Mission to Alpha Centauri.  You are hereby ordered to proceed to the following coordinates where you will join a forming task force to launch an offensive against the pirate base you have discovered.”

Three Heraklean convoys arrived in the system as the task force to deal with the pirate base was forming.  A brief conversation with each of the convoy commanders meant that, along with the HNS Maynard, a further eight destroyers and six light cruisers would be representing Heraklea in the operation.  Captain Deguizis, as the senior line-officer present took command of the forming Heraklean flotilla.

I may just get that star after all, he thought to himself.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Captain Cahir's own flotilla joins the task force being assembled to deal with the pirates, as well as four other such flotillas sent by the Homeguard. In total, the Centauri ships in the operation consisted of five Chiron-Class Light Frigates and ten Garland-Class Corvettes. Once the Centauri portion of the task force was fully assembled, Captain Cahir, having assumed control over his part of the task force, sends a brief communication to Captain Deguzis.

"Ready for action when you are."
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:49 pm

“UNHS Aegis, this is the HNS Maynard. We are ready to deploy. You have the ball.”

The Heraklean flotilla formed a miniature wall-of-battle. The Maynard carefully tied together the point-defense networks of the ships into a cohesive pattern of interlocking coverage. The sensor suites and fire-control systems were likewise tied into the flagship of the ad hoc formation to allow for maximum coordination between the ships.

With confirmation of readiness from both flotillas, the task force began movement towards the pirate base.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:55 pm

The Homeguard vessels use a rather different formation, by joining into five small groups of three, each with a Light Frigate and a Corvette. The idea is that the difficult-to-hit Light Frigate can attract fire while the Corvettes close and land ion blasts, before the group switches as a whole to conventional weaponry (a mixture of fusion lasers and tachyon beams).

Upon entering the system, the Homeguard vessels immediately deploy their long-range EMP missiles, designed to be used in the initial skirmish to disable enemy vessels and give the fleet an upper hand. Several pulses blanket the pirate base, and although an individual missile might not be enough to disable an entire base, the sheer quantity should definitely land some kind of considerable impact. After that, they begin to close in, ion cannons locked on any targets that appear.
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:27 am

With the Centauri EMP strikes blinding the pirate base, the Heraklean flotilla moved in quickly to surround the station and began deploying marine-filled cutters to take the station on foot, just in case the pirates had any hostages. As the small-boats swarmed like piranhas around the station, Captain Deguzis frowned at his holographic display.

“Does anyone have eyes on the other four pirate ships?”

MAC Rigel led his squad from compartment to compartment on-board the pirate station. The coordinated sweep by the marines was devastatingly effective against the disorganized pirates. But just because they were disorganized didn't mean that all of them are useless, thought the marine chief as he dived behind cover to prevent the pirate's fire from hitting him. The chief pulled a grenade and lobbed it over his the console he hid behind. The pirate barely had time to curse before the plastic of the grenade became a burst of ionized plasma that almost entirely disintegrated the enemy. As the plasma settled, MAC Rigel's com chirped before one of the chief's marines began talking over the net.

“Chief, this MR1 Louis. It's just like we feared. I found a compartment-full of hostages. I'm trying to tell them I'm here to help but they're too scared of me. They were... they wer being used as comfort women, chief.” The chief cursed loudly.

“Louis, stay with them for now. Flockheart, Hartell and Sandhya get down there and help him out. Maybe a female face will come the poor things down. Everyone else, there's a bottle of grog for every pirate you send to hell. Two if he suffers first.”
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:43 am

Captain Cahir replies, "Negative. Sensors do not report any vessels in-system besides our own. It seem we've struck while they're out - I'll keep four of my formations posted to intercept any enemy vessels, and the last'll send out its marines to the base from the other side, to speed up the process of clearing the place out."

With that, several boarding pods forcibly make their way into the other side of the pirate base, and the Centauri marines on board make their way into the base. With the Heraklean offensive coming from the other side, many of the pirates have been forced away into the opposite direction, meaning that there was now a dense resistance of pirates impeding the paths of the Centauri marines. Still, it would hardly stop them, with the tactical advantage of flanking. The marines began to move through the hallways, with plasma rifles on the sustained mode. The pirates began to literally melt before the Centauri marines, their makeshift armor not made for sustained plasma exposure.
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

“Make sure they're dark.  Don't want to scare them off if they do show up.  What?  Son of a... Captain Cahir, I've just been informed we found civies on the station.  Women who have been repeatedly raped.  Do you have the resources to help them back on Chiron?”

There were, for obvious reasons, few pirates taken prisoner during the sweep through the station.  Having been operating in Centauri space for a while, they knew of the rumors about how the Centauri deal with pirates, causing many to decide on the devil they didn't know.

Which may or may not have been worse for them.

Several of the greener Heraklean marines had started to look particularly green as MAC Rigel worked over the minds of the captured pirates.  One of the prisoners had suffered an aneurism as Rigel brute forced his way into the man's memories.  Another had wrapped himself into a ball, quietly weeping and rocking himself while repeating “I'm sorry” over and over again.  A third had to be restrained to prevent him from tearing off his own skin.

Rigel finally finished with his next pirate.  He sat for a few seconds, staring at his own hands, before he raised them and began trying to choke himself.  A pair of marines moved to pry his hands away from his own throat.  The struggle ended when the pirate snapped his own neck.  MAC Rigel said nothing, his face inscrutable, as the mini-drama played out.

He stepped to the fifth prisoner and reached out.  Instantly a snarl jumped to his throat.

“You know something, you bastard!”  Rigel slammed the man into a bulkhead with his telekinesis, then raised him up to the ceiling.  “Where are the other ships?”  The pirate was too scared to guard his thoughts well and answer immediately jumped to his mind.  “Thank you.  For your co-operation, your death will be swift.”  With that, Rigel sent another burst of psyonic power and the pirates eyes went suddenly blank, his body limp.  A small trail of blood leaked from his nose as his body fell to deck.  Rigel signaled the Maynard

“Captain Deguzis.”

“Captain Deguzis, MAC Rigel.  I know we have intel on the location of the other pirate ships.  They're selling off loot in a system to the galactic west of us.”
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 am

Captain Cahir is quiet for a moment, clearly in disgust at what had been done the prisoners, but replies, "Almost certainly. The diplomatic service back on Port Garland will probably try to get them back to where they belong, and I think that the Empaths back home should be able to do some Psych counseling while they're at it. We can send a Corvette back with them on board, if you so choose."

Once the team of Centauri marines has finished, they begin to head towards the known location of the Heraklean team, wanting to make a rendezvous with them before taking any further action. When they arrive, they see the aftermath of the psionic interrogations, and although some of them are a bit surprised, they hardly seem to be affected by the scene. Many of them have seen - or even experienced - worse in the never-ending struggle against mind worms on Chiron.

The leader of the Centauri team, a hardened veteran, says to MAC Rigel, "I have to apologize if we saw anything we shouldn't have, but it could really matter less to us. We're here to take the hostages, if you still have them, and check on any new intel if you've got any."
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:38 pm

“We've got them a few levels up with one of our corpsman.  She's had to use up most of her sedatives to calm them down.  I'll have one of my people show you to them.  I have to go brief the commanders on some new intel.”

“That's the size of it, sirs,” said MAC Rigel.  “This 'Republic of Trapper' issued these pirates letters of marque to legitimize their actions.  They have similar deals with at least seven other pirate outfits that these scum knew about.  It's pirate haven, and just two light-years off the Centauri-Veridian trade lane.”

“Tell me more about Trapper, chief,” prompted Captain Deguzis.

“It a monostellar polity in the Trapper system, sir.  Lead by President Thadius King.  He's a despot and a bully.  The Trapper system itself has only one habitable planet and two barely habitable moons.  The big trouble is the Trapper Republican Navy.  The pirates King sponsors have given him enough wealth to field three ships we could properly classify as battlecruisers, and plenty of ships smaller than that to support.  Our current forces can't be considered adequate to deal with them.  I recommend we request an expeditionary fleet from central.”  Captain Deguzis turned to look at the holographic projection of Captain Cahir.

“You think the your government would mind us sending a few battle squadrons through their territory to deal with these bastards once and for all?
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:47 pm

With a nod to the Heraklean marine who was instructed to guide them, the chief Centauri marine says simply, "Lead the way."
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:01 pm

When the marines entered the compartment where the pirate's victims were waiting to be removed from the station, a grimness over took them all. Several of the women had pillows clutched to their chests, softly rocking them while singing lullabies. Others were hugging each other for support. Someone looked at the marines with suspicion, using their bodies to shield another woman just in case. That all of them were malnourished was incredibly evident. The corpsmen who had been trying to care for the women looked extremely frazzled, their faces betraying the sort of exhaustion one gets from dealing with such horrors. They were both used to shipboard duties. They'd had blood, gore and guts when personnel had been hurt by battle damage. Neither of them had any experience with this sort of thing.

But beneath that exhaustion was an even stronger hunger. A seething rage that wanted to tear and rend and destroy every vestige of the monsters who had done this.

“You here to take them to help?”
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Sergeant Michael Hewitt, the leader of the Centauri marines, nods towards the posted corpsman and says, "Yes, we'll be taking them to get help. Might be a few hours before we can get them to a proper Psych facility, but in the meantime, our Psych Officer should be able to take care of them."

He gestures towards the hostages, and says to them, "Follow me. I'll get you all to help."

None of them followed. It was more than clear that they were distrustful of the Sergeant, and most of them quite firmly stayed put. Sergeant Hewitt sighed gently, trying to decide what he was going to do.

However, one of his subordinates said to him, "Uh, sir? With all due respect, I don't think that you're exactly the right... type of person... to convince them to follow us. Do you think you can get a hold of Psych Officer Raske?"

Sergeant Hewitt looked back at the marine who spoke up, and sighed, saying in reply, "I suppose that much is true. Give me a second."

He then excused himself into the hallway, detached his datapad from his belt, and then quickly dialed a request for Psych Officer Raske back on board the UNHS Aegis. After a brief moment, the voice of Psych Officer Raske came on line. "Yes? Have you located the hostages? How many of them are there?"

"Fifteen or so, I'd say. That's not exactly what I'm contacting you for, though. I need your help in bringing them on board the Aegis. I think someone like you would be better suited to convincing them to follow us willingly. As you can probably understand, I'm not exactly the most... you know what I mean."

"Yes... yes, I think I understand. I can't exactly Project at such a far distance, but I can definitely try and help you out with that. Turn the holoprojector on and bring your datapad to them, please, I'll try and convince them."

Once he does so, a holoprojection of Psych Officer Raske's head soon appears from the datapad. He is clearly an older man, appearing around sixty, though in reality he was almost a hundred and fifty years old. He was a seasoned Empath, one of the first few initiated in the art of psionics upon the discovery of Centauri Empathy by the Peacekeeping Forces. His voice was naturally a soft one, and with his empathic abilities it served him well in dealing with traumatized individuals. Though he could not use his powers at such a distance, his voice nevertheless retained a certain calming aesthetic.

Gently, he said to the hostages, "Greetings. My name is Hermann Raske, and I am the resident Psych Officer abroad the UNHS Aegis, one the vessels that came to this base to bring the pirates you captured you to justice and to free you. I know that you have experience things far worse than what any sentient should ever experience, and that you have been harmed in many ways by those who took advantage of you, both mentally and physically. Please, follow us. These men and women are good people, as upright and honest as they come, and we will bring you to Empaths who will take care of you in every way they can, and we will make sure that you are brought back to your loved ones as soon as you are well."
Back to top Go down
Heraklea

PostSubject: Re: The Maynard Incident   Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:49 pm

SECRET
OPERATION TRIPOLI

COMMANDER: FLEET ADMIRAL CAUSEY, GEORG
OBJECTIVE: CAPTURE OF TRAPPER SYSTEM
ORDER OF BATTLE: 2ND EXPADITIONARY FLEET, 3RD MARINE DIVISION
AREA OF OPERATIONS: TRAPPER SYSTEM
SUBMITTED: FLEET ADMIRAL JORDAN, CISCO

APPROVED: GRAND ADMIRAL KIRRIX, ADELEI
RECOMMENDED: HIGH ADMIRAL HEIDENDALE, HENRY