Korel - Nationstates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Korel - Nationstates

A forum for the Korel Region on Nationstates

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Things Don't Just... (FT)

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

Things Don't Just... (FT) Empty
PostSubject: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 10:12 pm

(OOC: I'll have the military report up ASAP. Should finish my homework tomorrow at some point, so if there's time, I'll spend the hour to do the report! This is much faster to write, so I can easily spare the time for it.)

Burninite servers to the Galactic Web have stopped responding. No notice, no downtime message, they're just not there. All Burninite radio chatter is gone. Burninite merchant vessels do not appear in any spaceports anywhere. The only Burninite embassy in a foreign country (conveniently located in downtown Dreva) is simply deserted. The eerie thing is that it looks almost exactly like everyone meant to come in today. Everything is tidy and ready to go. The only thing one would notice is wrong is that Ambassador Jackson is always careful to leave his pen horizontally in the center of his desk. Today, it's got a 45 degree slant, almost like it was dropped there.

To make matters worse, there don't seem to be any Burninite tourists or travelers anywhere. The entire civilization is just gone, down to every last Burninite.

What the hell?

There was one clue. A little one. Tiny little one. Left in the form of a databurst. Or, half a databurst anyway. Sensor command must have done something to it. Or, maybe it popped out of existence partway through or something.

(ENCRYPTED)
TO: Shein

There isn't much time, so I'll be brief: we've detected the approach of something we haven't seen in millenia - since the days before the Fall. We're quite sure of what's coming, since we've seen it before.

Anyway, we're about to be att&)(&$$@*_)&)&(*!&@*&_(*$^*#__%!@+_+(&*#&^*_^&@*^*^(*&@^$^!@@@#($&%&*_)!_@$&_*^%*(#^^&(%^&(&#^%%%%)______^&&&&^##$^)#@&^$)!*@@_$_*!#_^%_*#^%_*^%(*^#*(%^____*(^$#%*(^*(##%*@#)%)(&*)Y*___*Y(()WEYYRF)&*#()___QMUEW*_Y&TP_U$_(*_YTR(HFFFFEEFHC(E)PHF

*Message terminates*

It looks like there was a set of coordinates attached, but it also looks like those coordinates were put in a blender for a moment, then dipped into a cup of hot chocolate, then carefully blow-dried by an overzealous 5-year-old. It was somewhere on Burnination, but there's really no way to find out where. Unless you can read a mix between cuneiform, hieroglyphics, and Greek anyway.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 12:48 am

Shein was sleeping at his desk until Arren dropped the datapad in front of him. Arren had already seen the message, having completely access to Shein's email system, and had contacted the Burninite Embassy, to no avail. He'd already confirmed it was empty.

"Huh? Wha?" Shein blinks several times.

"They've disappeared. Gone. No where to be found. Signals are all gone. Embassy empty." Arren points at the datapad.

"Things don't just...." Shein reads the message. "...disappear..." He frowns, then looks up at Arren. "What do you mean?"

Arren sighs. "They're gone. Jackson and staff are gone. I've confirmed it already. There's nothing coming from Burnination."

Shein looks back at the message. "And what the hell happened at the end of this message?"

Arren shrugs. "I don't know. Should I send someone to check it out?"

Shein shakes his head slowly and deliberately. "I think this means 'attacked'. I want this message studied. Closely. I even want Lucas to look at it."

Arren nods. "I'll get our people on it and send a copy to Lucas."

So the message goes through the scrutiny of Rutian computer geeks and one insane vampire who managed to accidentally create artificial intelligence.
Back to top Go down
https://korel.forummotion.com
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 10:09 am

Lucas is unable to discern the content of the rest of the message, but he is able to discern what happened to it.

It would appear that part of the message was transmitted from a platform that was in the middle of using a Trans-Warp drive. Thus, the signal was randomly scrambled when said platform moved between parallel universes.

Since Thorgood's lab is on the surface of Burnination, that begs another question. Namely, what? How does Thorgood send a message while going to Warp while on a planet with zero Warp capability?

There might be signs of something in Burninite space, but it'd be impossible to tell without sending something to scan the area or someone to check it out.

(OOC: I enjoyed your use of the thread title there Rut Razz)
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 11:00 am

Lucas sends his findings straight to Shein along with a request to come along. He wants to see exactly how this happened.

An hour later, the Raptor picks up Lucas. Esteban tags along for some unknown reason. Okay, the reason becomes known to the crew once Lucas opens his mouth to speak. He's not exactly lucid. Esteban's there to translate. Not that Esteban is any less insane, but at least he's somewhat lucid at the moment.

The Raptor does send a probe to where Burnination should be to scan the area and find out what is going on over there. They're being very cautious about this. A civilisation doesn't just disappear in the blink of an eye without damned good reason.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 11:33 am

The probe returns astonishing data.

In terms of mass, the only explanation is that Burnination has either somehow been moved entirely, or been destroyed, all its mass completely obliterated.

There's enough mass around for one or two of those moons that the Burninites recently dragged over to their planet for some reason. But they're no longer intact. They've been destroyed. Chunks the size of a minivan at the largest.

As soon as the probe finishes picking up all the physical data, it picks something else up -- biomass. There is enough dead matter floating in the void of space there to be picked up by a single probe scanning an entire sector. How many Burninites were on those moons?

Then something else. A life sign. It's big enough to be about 2 people, but lacks any obvious shielding or ship or anything that would protect it from the vacuum of space. It vanishes, then reappears right on top of the probe. If the probe transmits video, it would note a rather interested-looking person of Burninite stature, only a bit bigger, seemingly at home in the environment of space wearing only pink overalls examining the probe, tapping it inquisitively with a finger. Also has lacquered fingernails if anyone was wondering.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 2:39 pm

And this is why they sent a probe instead of a manned ship. Yes, it does transmit video. The probe, however, is completely unmoved by the tapping. It stays where it is for the moment, still scanning, though it's attention is now on the person.

On the Raptor, they're looking at the results of the scans so far. They're trying to figure out how many people were on the moons for one. They're also paying close attention to the space where Burnination had been to see if they can't find anything there. An energy signature or something. A second probe goes to where Burninandom should be, probably expecting to find the same results there.

In the silence that occurred when the person approached the probe and started tapping on it, Lucas is the only one who has something to say. "Nice nails." There's a few snickers, but even that wasn't enough to completely break the stress on the ship.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 7:17 pm

If the probe can sense mental connections, it would note that the creature, whatever it is, tries to telepathically communicate. It cocks its head to the side and exhibits a look of consternation. Then its eyes light up as though it has understood something. It then folds its legs into a cross legged sitting position and ... floats there. It also does the Buddhist hand thing. Maybe it's meditating.

Or waiting.

Anyway, given the amount of biomass and the average mass of one Burninite, it seems likely that no more than 10,000 dead are floating around in this area. Which still begs the question as to where the other billions of Burninites are.

Burninandom is completely gone, as though the planet never existed. It had no moons, and there is no rubble, nor strange creature. However, that probe stops transmitting data after reporting only that. Though the end of the last signal was scrambled the same way Thorgood's message was.

The moment the second probe vanishes, the creature appears to come out of its meditative state. Without glancing at the probe, it vanishes too.

After another moment, the second probe begins transmitting data again as though nothing was wrong, but one or two of the instruments aren't working, like someone had tried to take it apart real fast.

And then the creature appears by the first probe again. It looks right into the camera and makes hand gestures. They look like they're intended to be communicative, but ... not so much.

And those fingernails are distracting.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 10:25 pm

The probe isn't that advanced. It can only register what it 'sees'.

"Mind walkers." Lucas's comment comes only after the hand gestures.

Shein raises a brow, then nods to Arren. Arren sends for a telepath, who arrives quickly.

The telepath looks at the screen and sends a message of 'who are you?'

They're probably all hoping Lucas is right and there's some telepathic ability there that can work at the distance that they're at. They're also hoping that this creature can't find them by that simple message.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 12:49 am

The creature, a Harlequin, it calls itself, immediately opens its eyes and tilts them towards the probe when its mind is contacted. The Rutian telepath seems to know the name "Harlequin" the moment he/she contacts it, though there was no immediate indication of a willful response.

Its thoughts seem twisted. I don't use the word in the negative sense -- it has no morally evil ambiance. I use it in the literal sense. Its thoughts come out in a strange order, as though its mode of thinking isn't quite the same as our own.

"I am Harlequin," its mind responds. "I dance I laugh I try to hide because I am not strong to protect which must be saved." It cocks its head to the side as though in thought. "Also you try to hide. Like me. Why hide? You do not feel like the Hunted."

Some of its thoughts are accompanied by images that seem to modify the meanings of words. 'Dance' and 'laugh' almost seem to have the same meaning to the Harlequin. 'Hide' has a reverence usually reserved to 'pray.' Possibly the eeriest though, is that 'Hunted' seems to refer to the Burninite race; it is accompanied by the most evident differences between Burninite physiology from ancient human physiology. There is no indication of the identity of the hunter.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 7:25 pm

The telepath shares the information, which causes the others to start research on anything that they may have on Burnination to identify the threat.

Shein does tell the telepath what to say, though not vocally. It's read the minute he thinks of it.

The telepath continues to 'talk' to the Harlequin. "We're staying at a distance because we do not know the threat you encompass toward us. An entire civilisation is gone and we do not know why. Do you?" While the feelings were clear, the telepath seems to want to make certain.

Shein, at this point, sends off a message to Dmitri.

(Encrypted)

To: Dmitri

I'm sure you noticed the Burninite systems going down rather abruptly. Their entire civilisation is gone. Yes, gone. Their two planets are no longer in existence. They're not destroyed either. The moons are, but the planets are just gone. There is an alien presence there and we're attempting to find out what threat it poses. Right now, it doesn't appear to pose a major threat, but that is, as of yet, unconfirmed. I do believe this thing had something to do with the disappearance of the Burninites. I would ask that you not send any ships into Burninite space at the moment. I don't know if that would be seen as provocation. If this thing is responsible for the disappearance of an entire civilisation, there's no telling what else it can do. I will keep you advised. Attached is all the information we have so far.

-Shein

(attachments: Thorgood's last message; scan results from both probes; information on the telepathic contact that has been made so far)
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:32 pm

*Encrypted*

To: Shein

I noticed. A lot of people here are in panic over some Burninite businesses and neighbors disappearing. Thank you for the information you have given. Keep me informed as things go on.

Dmitri
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 pm

The Harlequin's mind appears to shimmer for a moment when asked if it is a threat. It was almost...amusement.

The laughter/dancing it spoke of perhaps.

It sends a response: "You are not the Dark Brothers," it sends. "I may not harm you unless harm will become me."

Then its thoughts swirl for a moment. They twist again. Probably contemplation. "I do not understand question," it says. "You know the Hunted but not the Dark One nor what fate Hunted? What is your nature?"

Though, 'Dark One' was really almost plural by image, and the image differed only slightly from the Burninite images that accompany 'Hunted.' And 'nature' could have been 'being.' It seems to possess no concept of the idea of 'Who are you,' which kind of begs the question of where the answer 'Harlequin' came from before.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 pm

"I don't understand." That's the only response the telepath sends.

The confusion must be obvious since Lucas frowns at the telepath. He doesn't speak though, probably concerned about breaking concentration.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 am

The Harlequin responds with a series of images. First of a Burninite, seemingly generic, but then it begins to focus on the mind. From the perspective of the Harlequin, the Burninite mind, though sharper than the average human, and with more potential for special ability, is tragically flawed.

There is a small ... something on it. It's like a mark. A hole. It makes the mind vulnerable to the forces of the void. Forces the Harlequin seems to treat with caution, for they're unknowable and unpredictable even for its strange consciousness.

And when conditions were right, the minds of several Burninites (at least, according to the images) were warped.

Transformation complete; the Harlequin then speaks. "The Hunted, and the Dark Ones. The same, different." It pauses. "You ask where the Hunted. Not here. More than mind link required. Physical presence."
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:24 pm

The telepath requests, and is given permission, to take a fighter and go to the area where the Harlequin is located. Thirty minutes later, the Rutian fighter pops in near the probe. The link from the telepath should be stronger now as distance is no longer an option.

The fighter, of course, also has a video link.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:55 pm

The Harlequin seems unsurprised by the appearance of the fighter.

"Do your eyes see me themselves?" it asks. "Electrical eyes are useless here."

Just as the Harlequin finishes sending that, another ship appears. It's there for under a fraction of a second, and it resembles a Burninite vessel, but its coloring and patterns are unrecognizable, and its power output is several times greater than the maximum a similarly-sized Burninite vessel would be expected to be capable of.

The moment it appears, several Harlequins do as well, and one of them fires at the ship with what looks like a medieval lance. A ray of light strikes the ship, which seems to be engulfed and then vanishes. So do the extra Harlequins. The entire exchange lasts for almost a second.

The Harlequin communicating with the Rutians doesn't even bat an eyelash. Or raise a lacquered fingernail.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 pm

The telepath not only sends the comment, but shouts it aloud as well. "What the hell?!?!"

That sentiment is likely shared among those watching from a distance.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:59 pm

"The Dark Brothers sometimes escape their webs," the Harlequin responds. "All will be known if your eyes see me themselves. I can weave images only for living eyes, not technological."
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 8:04 pm

"Well, yeah. I can see you." The telepath is confused and maybe a little scared after seeing that.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 8:26 pm

In space, visible only to the eye (ie, neither the camera from the probe nor the fighter picks it up), a ball appears. It's about the size of a pumpkin, but its limits wobble like it's a cohesive liquid floating in zero g.

"This is our universe," the Harlequin says.

Another several appear, right next to the original one.

"These are parallel universes."

The small, moving space between the wobbling images changes color to a purple.

"This is the Warp," the Harlequin says. "It is ever-changing. Technically it does not exist. But it is the nest of the Harlequin. Then the Dark Brothers came and made war. The Harlequin fled. The Dark Brother was destroyed in this universe and so came to the Warp. The Dark Brother is strong again, and the Hunted are weak, like the Harlequin. But they cannot flee. The Hunted are stuck here," it says, the purple spaces between universes lighting up a little brighter. "The Hunted do not fit in the Warp. Instead they die. Are you familiar with way to remove Hunted from Warp?"
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 8:30 pm

"No." The telepath reports back, then after a moment, asks a question. "Will others be in danger if they come here?" Obviously, that question was relayed.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:30 pm

"The Dark Brother mostly bloodlusts for the Hunted and for the Harlequin. The Harlequin can protect you easily unless you come with many. You saw before."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Bad trip man, bad trip," Teresa Trimbalt groans, rubbing her aching head.

Teresa, are you there? Have you escaped the Warp? Thorgood's voice rang clearly in her mind.

"Ugh, yes," she says. She looks around. "But I have no idea where the hell I am."

Which is about how it came to be that, a few hours later, Teresa Trimbalt stumbled into a small town on Dreva, rubbing her head and immediately contacting the government there.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Once Shein was notified about Teresa being on Dreva, the Raptor heads there immediately, getting her on board.

"What the hell is going on?" That's all Shein can manage.

To: Dmitri

I've attached all the other information we've gotten. Somehow, Teresa Trimbalt showed up on Dreva. I've got her on the Raptor. We're gonna need some scientific minds to try and figure this out. You got any you could loan us?

-Shein
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:48 pm

*Encrypted*
To: Shein

Sure, why not.

Dmitri

--------------------

A few guys from different specialties are sent over.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Teresa is definitely Teresa, but she's acting a little funny. I think I would too if I had Thorgood wired to my brain.

"Well without going into depth, which we can certainly do later if you'd like, some of Jenova's oldest friends stopped by for an unfriendly visit and took us with them. They're remnants of some of the militant, decadent sects of Burninites that decayed society before the Fall - SHUT UP, I'M TRYING TO GO THROUGH IT QUICKLY," she finishes at a low growl. She shakes her head, blinks, and appears to notice Shein as though she'd forgotten she was talking to him. "Oh, sorry. Talking to Thorgood. Another long story. For now, the longer we tarry the more of us die on the Other Side."

She glances outside or at a holoscreen. "I see you've met a harlequin. Interesting race. But unhelpful. Their means of transport is biological. We need a way to make a, what did you call it?" She stops and appears to be listening to nothing. "A tear in the fabric of our own space-time that somehow doesn't reach into the next universe so that we can fly physical objects from the Other Side to This Side. Thorgood says your science people will be able to grasp the problem, if not find a solution. No, I will NOT be your voice, dammit, you'll let them figure it out. I don't even understand what you're saying, and you're IN MY HEAD. Wh - You shut up right now and let me deal with this."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things Don't Just... (FT)   Things Don't Just... (FT) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Things Don't Just... (FT)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Korel - Nationstates :: Regional Happenings :: Issues-
Jump to: