Korel - Nationstates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Korel - Nationstates

A forum for the Korel Region on Nationstates

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hello Korel!

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi I'm Langarra and I put out a general interest post on the NS forums, telling everyone that I was looking for a future tech region to RP in. Selathorn was the only person to respond to that post so Korel became the lucky region lol!

If you're interested I'll tel you a little about myself. I've been apart of NationStates since April of 2005 where I have been an active RPing member of a community of regions whom like call ourselves the NationStates World Regions. I am still and active member within the community where I am a global moderator of the forums as well as Map Tsar (A personal term of mine, basically our community consists of 5 regions (which roughly make up the various continents of Earth) and as of recently I've been given full authority to keep up the maps for each region). While I love the community, its a modern Tech Community and I'm interested in branching out and trying something new.

So I've decided to come here to Korel where I've been told there is a small but very active community of RPers.
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Silly me. I didn't even see this post until just now. Welcome to the region. The one FT thread going on right now is Long Ago and Far Away. It's more or less ripped off of Knights of the Old Republic and if you've played that game before, I would ask that you not spoil my big reveal. If not and you're interested in joining, I'll try to fit you in there somehow. You can always just have our in-universe introduction be done after the war with the Sith is over.
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Nope never have played that particular title so I'll be int he dark about how that should play out. I do have some questions though and while I've been trying to read all I can, I haven't found anything to answer these questions yet:

1. Is there anything in the way of restrictions when it comes to technology for use in the FT RP? Obviously I understand not to Godmod with tech, but I wasn't sure if certain things were generically off-limits.

2. How does time progress in the game? Does a month equal a year, a day equal a month? In the other community I RP with, we don't observe a standard, across the board time-table when it comes to the progression of time. We just leave time fluid and you progress it how you see fit. I've never worked with a set rule on how time progresses so that will be something new for me, if that's how you all do things. I just want to know before I say a week has passed and it really hasn't, according to your established rules.

3. When it comes to the foundation of my civilization in the FT, can I make the claim that my species comes from another galaxy in sort of a Battlestar Galatica inspired flotilla that has traveled many millions of light years to this galaxy to escape their past?
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 9:51 am

Hey there Langarra, welcome to our forums! I was away yesterday so I couldn't reply then, but now I'm here. Razz It seems you have a very impressive RP resume, your experience is very much welcomed in this region since we love to have every experienced (and active!) RPer we can get. Let me see if I can answer your questions:

1. We don't really have any hard-and-fast rules for what's off limits, generally we work out such things with each other. As long as we all agree, you can get with anything within reason really. For example, we all (we meaning everyone except me because I just retconned my once horrible nation and backstory) have weapons capable of destroying planets or even stars, and a bunch of psychic/superpowered people lurk in the background of the universe at the center of a couple of RPs. Personally I think you'd have a hard time trying to surpass the invisible limits, but we'll come to see Razz

2. It basically progresses the same way as it does in your other community, yeah. If we see fit to time skip a month, we do so. However, to avoid having a totally schizophrenic timeline, we put our RPs at a certain place in time relative to other established RP, as in "RP X takes place a month after RP Y" and so forth. New RPs don't need to be necessarily after the established RPs in RP time, they can take place before or even concurrently. A couple of RPs here and there have even taken place years before the current RP time, so yeah, very fluid.

3. Go ahead with that backstory, it sounds great! Our region has all sorts of weird backstories for our nations, the majority of which are some variation of "we are humans that escaped from Earth blah blah blah" (this would be Rutianas, Panzersharkcat, and me, Selathorn), but some have other backstories (Burnination). Really, pretty much anything is fine for your backstory.
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Excellent, I think that clears up most of my questions and it all sounds very good. Oh and who do I contact about getting on the map. I noticed there's like two different maps Shocked
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Our map has never been updated on a regular basis. The official one was done by Ace, who isn't particularly active on these forums anymore, and the alternate one was done by Ayzek, who has gone inactive and CTE'd. I could probably do an alternate one, actually, even if it won't be pretty, where do you want your nation?
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Well although I imagine this isn't your most updated map, it just seemed easiest to edit. Anywho, I'd like to be somewhere around this part of the neighborhood:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Actually, I've been doing the maps for the region. See this thread.
However, that does not account for the huge amount of Sith that we're fighting. That would be represented by the biggest part marked on the map.
Hello Korel! KorelMapLaniusSith
So yeah, I should be able to fit you in there.
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Oops, didn't quite see that. Still, I find the image quality appalling, I'll offer my alternate anyways Razz
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Sorry for double-posting, but...

Uber Map:
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Meh. Blame it on compression or whatever. I'd redo it with a bigger map but, you know, fried monitor.
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Oh hi Langarra! I'd usually see this sort of thing more quickly, but I was out last night so I didn't get to check in.

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 7:56 pm

As far as limits go, Burn, Rut, and I are probably the most advanced. Burn is Stargate/Warhammer 40k, Rut is Dune/Fallout, and I'm Star Wars/the DCU. We've had RPs involving the Green Lantern Corps, Brainiac, and the Daxamites. I even had an offscreen one involving Darkseid and the near apocalypse that almost wiped out the multiverse.
Anyway, Rut is the one with the sun destroying superweapon. I'm the one, by virtue of having a buttload of Star Destroyers, with the fleet of planet killers (a single ISD is at least the equal of a Shadow planet killer, in terms of firepower), and I even have the Eclipse, which is equipped with a shrunken down Death Star superlaser. As long as you aren't something like the Time Lords, the Xeelee, or the Culture, all of whom are ridiculously powerful sci-fi powers, you should probably be fine. In fact, if you're strictly based on Battlestar Galactica, you'd be between Sela, the Bastians, and the rest of us. You'd probably catch up fairly quickly with trade and all.

(P.S. I probably have the most convoluted backstory of all, originating from an alternate universe with a war between the Galactic Empire and the United Federation of Planets, the Borg, the Romulan Star Empire, and the Klingon Empire. Well, the Klingons were technically allies of the Galactic Empire, but whatever. The Borg were driven to extinction, Romulus got blown up by the Death Star, San Francisco got blown up, and so did the Moon.)

Last edited by Panzersharkcat on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Hiya Langarra,

Welcome to the region. You will notice that we all have different nations, all are actual puppets, but some of them died out and we never bothered to resurrect them. Wink

I'm the one that's fairly bad about updating my factbooks (or even writing them), but since I steal a lot of my MT/PMT tech straight from Fallout, I've never worried about it. My FT is based on Dune with some additions of my own creation. It actually can get confusing when we start mixing all that, but it's also fun trying to unravel it all and figure it out. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
https://korel.forummotion.com
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Well I use Battlestar as a example for what the fleet that my Langarri will be arriving on as only an example, I imagine saying its something like the Quarian fleet would also work ha ha. I feel I'll be taking inspirations from many difference sources but I suppose the direct and most influential sources will be stargate (Ancients and Asgard really) and Startrek (the Federation primarily).

But like I said, I really will be grabbing bits and pieces from a host of different sources when developing my Langarri (Langarra the name, being inspired by Langara of Stargate itself Razz ) such as Stargate, Star Trek, Star Wars, Starcraft, Mass Effect, etc. etc. etc. Hopefully, I'll be able to add another unique race to the Korel universe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Burnination
Admin
Burnination

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 12:15 pm

I use a lot of Stargate tech too, which you might recognize on my Factbooks. I also use the WH40K Eldar as well.

I didn't like Langara or Jonas Quinn personally though. They were too warlike for me I think.
Back to top Go down
Rutianas
Admin
Rutianas

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Yay! Another unique combination of stuff! I did bring some Babylon 5 tech into Rutianas, though I never finished the RP because I got busy RL and forgot where it was going.

One of the planets in the Imperial Republic does have a Stargate that connects to one of the core planets, but that's probably about as deep into Stargate as I get. None of them really know how to use it other than to connect the two planets together.
Back to top Go down
https://korel.forummotion.com
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 3:20 pm

Hurray! I think the Rheans will actually scoff a bit seeing Trek stuff, though, considering how their ancestors in the Galactic Empire squished the Federation like a bug with only a small portion of its fleet. In case you're wondering, my back story for the nation is ripped from the fanfic, Conquest, written by the owner of StarDestroyer.net. It's a pretty good story, even if he underpowers Star Wars to make the story more interesting. (It'd be really boring if it was just a few dozen Star Destroyers wreaking havoc across the Federation with hyperdrive while the warp drive of the Federation can't catch up, or basically, phase two of the Imperial War Campaign. I think he made an error about Death Star II's construction time, but whatever. It doesn't change the outcome that much.)
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Burnination wrote:
I use a lot of Stargate tech too, which you might recognize on my Factbooks. I also use the WH40K Eldar as well.

I didn't like Langara or Jonas Quinn personally though. They were too warlike for me I think.

Yeah as far as the connection between my Langarra and the Langarans of SG, I really just took the name Ha ha. Although in the back story of my people, the Langarri were at war with a second race on their original home world much like the discourse the Langarans of SG had. Beyond all that though, I really just took the name ha ha because I too, did not find anything very inspiring about them on SG.

Well if there's tech to be had, such as stargates and the like, guess I'll just find a way to trade for it and save my people all the hassle of development Laughing

An I can handle some scoffing Very Happy should make for some good stories down the line
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Well, my tech sucks (at the moment), so you can feel free to scoff at me... for now, anyways. After the current RP my tech will greatly advance after the discovery of the Secrets of the Manifolds (which basically means I'll get a boatload of techs). By the way, if you haven't noticed, we're quite active in the chatbox and if you see one of us in there feel free to drop in. Panzer and I are online at the moment, although I might not do too much talking.

EDIT: And it appears you've dropped in on your own accord Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 4:16 pm

This seemed like the best place as any to ask, but is there a back story to earth? I ask because I've given it some thought and I really don't like the civilization I'm creating in my head for the Langarri and would like to start a new ( My apologies to Brun and Rut for having them RP in my story only to want to can it now). However, my idea is that this new nation would be humans from earth who started on another planet. Of course if the Earth is in today's tech then obviously that would work, well I guess it would I could just blame time travel.....lol

But I think I'd ask first Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Selathorn

Selathorn

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 5:43 pm

The backstory of Earth is basically taken from Fallout from the most part, although most nations we have for Earth only go with said backstory very loosely. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline should help with that, although it's not really perfect. Still, you can claim you are guys from Earth all you want, most of our nations are from Earth somehow (like you said, we can just blame parallel Earths or something). Although, I think you've been beaten on the "humans from Earth who settled on another planet" front, that's pretty much my nation right there. Razz Although my nation is based more on a clash of ideologies than anything, so it's not exactly like you're horribly encroaching on my idea. I think that you need to flesh your idea out a little more, "humans from Earth who settled on another planet" is a bit bland and doesn't make for very good RP. (This is basically what ruined my last incarnation of Selathorn. It was a really really boring nation which was basically more or less a plain old nation that just happened to have spaceships and advanced technology.) Still, as long as you have a decent gimmick, you should be fine Wink
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:27 pm

The Swiss Empire is based partially on Fallout and the DC Universe. The Rheans are from an alternate Earth in which both Star Trek and Star Wars existed. I should probably flesh out the Bastians next. They and the other species with them are truly bizarre aliens.
Back to top Go down
Veridia Prime

Veridia Prime

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Yeah I think I've got an idea to be a bit of a "darker" nation that I had intended to be when I started with Langarra. I'll give it a little more thought, I've got some ideas I really like but I just need to iron is all out before I switch gears.

Oh one last question, I know there's mention that some nation's here use stargates, so it is safe to assume there are stargates scatter around the galaxy yes?
Back to top Go down
Panzersharkcat
Admin
Panzersharkcat

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Sure, why not. There's one left on Earth used to connect to the Celtic Lands planet, which they really need to name. I'm not even sure if it's in the same galaxy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello Korel! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Korel!   Hello Korel! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello Korel!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next